PDA

View Full Version : Christian names - parish registers

TerryK
04-03-2005, 4:21 PM
I have just received a copy of a christening of 1835. In column 3 parents christian names the mothers name is jane and below the christian name is Thomas ( reading Jane Thomas) the father is Thomas and Walton is shown in the surname column. Can anyone enlighten me ?
Regards
Terry

Geoffers
04-03-2005, 9:06 PM
I have just received a copy of a christening of 1835. In column 3 parents christian names the mothers name is jane and below the christian name is Thomas ( reading Jane Thomas) the father is Thomas and Walton is shown in the surname column. Can anyone enlighten me ?
Regards
Terry
If column 3 (parents names) reads

'Thomas
and
Jane Thomas'

then it is possible that this is her maiden name - some clerics did record additional detail and not all of them made it clear what they were noting. Do you have a copy of the whole page to see how other mothers' names are recorded?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Peter Goodey
04-03-2005, 9:32 PM
I doubt if you can draw a firm conclusion from that entry.

Jane Thomas might quite simply be her Christian names (eg she used to be Jane Thomas Smith and is now Jane Thomas Walton). Or perhaps it implies something else.

My feeling is that you'll have to research a bit further before you can be certain what it meant.