PDA

View Full Version : Some strays in Norwich Gaol 1861

Geoffers
03-03-2005, 9:18 PM
I'm slowly indexing a large chunk of Norfolk 1861 census. I've reached Heigham, which inlcudes Norwich City Gaol. The Gaol only records initials of inmates, rather than their full name. If you are looking for Norfolk families it may seem reasonable to check the gaol as a last resort. But for those who strayed from other counties it might be less obvious to think of checking Norwich Gaol on the offchance. So, in case it helps someone, somewhere. The following were enjoying the govenor's hospitality:

RG9/1219 f105/1-107/5
Norwich City Gaol, Heigham, Norfolk

J.E, 58, Coal carter, bn Dover, Kent
H.B (female), 20, prostitute, bn Jersey
C.L, 45, coach plater, bn Birmingham, Warwickshire
S.W, 80, vagrant, bn Exeter, Devon
G.J, 28, shoemaker, bn Cape of Good Hope
W.P, 30, Private 10 Hussars, bn Dunmow, Essex
J.J, 23, Private 10 Hussars, bn Manchester, Lancashire
(there were several from the 10th Hussars who were in the clink)

continued.....

Geoffers
03-03-2005, 9:21 PM
....continued....

RG9/1219 f105/1-107/5
Norwich City Gaol, Heigham, Norfolk
J.S, 20, labourer, bn Livepool, Lancashire
N.M, 36, stoker?, bn Buschley?, Northamptonshire
W.H, 46, Ostler, bn Brighton, Sussex
'Unknown', 50, vagrant, bn Jarmany(sic)
J.A, 19, G....?, bn Dublin, ireland
A.G, 46, baker, bn Willingham, Suffolk
G.W, 21, hawker, bn Braintree, Essex.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Mitch in Notts
19-01-2011, 8:03 PM
Geoffers,

Would I be right in thinking that anyone who died in Norwich Gaol in 1843 would have been buried in Heigham and thus the burial record would therefore have been blitzed?

Thanks

Mitch

Geoffers
19-01-2011, 9:40 PM
I have a recollection that Norwich City Gaol was extra-parochial, which may mean that deceased prisoners would not necessarily have been buried at Heigham - but they could have.

I can find no reference to a burial ground within the gaol - a plan of the gaol is held at the NRO in 'NCR case 16e/31' which may show otherwise.

NRO's list of registers and transcripts (http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/documents/pdf/prat.pdf) indicates the existence of ATs for St.Bartholomew's up to 1871 so if you've lost someone who died in 1843, there is a chacne of being able to find a record of burial at Heigham.

As a best way forward, it may be worthwhile sending the NRO an e-mail asking if they do have BT/ATs for 1843-4 and if they could photocopy it for you (shouldn't cost too much).

Sorry I cannot give you anything more definitive, I'll keep browsing my library in case I come up with owt.

Mitch in Notts
19-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Many thanks for that Geoffers.
I`ve added that to my to do list. I have that many `loose ends` I could keep the NRO staff busy for a year!
Many thanks for your time.

Mitch

PS I`m seeking a Jonathan GOOK. One was buried at Witton (nr Walsham) in Feb 1837 your `library` wouldn`t be able to tell me the age of that said victim?

Thanks

Geoffers
19-01-2011, 10:37 PM
PS I`m seeking a Jonathan GOOK. One was buried at Witton (nr Walsham) in Feb 1837 your `library` wouldn`t be able to tell me the age of that said victim

Sorry, I've only got the ATs for that Witton and they only extend up to 1812.

If you have sometime to spare, the WI survey of Norfolk churchyards (I think completed in 1977) has been added to the mormon church 'familysearch' web-site; I know Witton near Walsham was included in the survey; you might just be lucky that there is/was a surviving headstone?

Apart from that I'm sorry to say it is something for your epic list.

Mitch in Notts
19-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks Geoffers,

I found that 1837 death on the familysearch but it gives no age, sadly. Never mind. All good fun!

Thanks again

Mitch

PS Just noticed what you mean on familysearch. How on earth am I going to get to Norwich this year with all that lot to get through!!!

Geoffers
19-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I found that 1837 death on the familysearch but it gives no age, sadly. Never mind. All good fun!

Is that via there search engine, or have you browsed the pages of the churchyard survey? (It consists of 180 pages).

Mitch in Notts
19-01-2011, 11:33 PM
That was the search engine. Say no more.

I have just browsed 311 pages of the consistory court looking for a marriage licence 1839 for David Pollard & Phebe Perfrement (if you remember the Heigham question from last week). Anyway just found it on page 4 of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk Court. Success!!

Witton will have to wait, my eyes are suffering!!

Mitch