PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Lookup - Mary Jane Nelson

revdfg
03-03-2005, 4:06 PM
Could some kind person with access to the 1861 census for Yorkshire please look up Mary Jane Nelson.

I have her in 1871 at Ruby Street, Marske, Yorkshire
Mary J Nelson 16 Whissonsett, Norfolk, General Servant
and not far away are her parents:
at West Street, Marske by the Sea, Yorkshire
Robert Nelson 46 Whissonsett, Norfolk, Head, Agricultural Labourer
Martha Nelson 42 Weasenham, Norfolk, Wife

Robert and Martha Nelson had brought their young family of Mary Jane, Robert, and Susan from Whissonsett, Norfolk sometime before the birth of their next child William who was born in Skelton, Yorkshire in 1860. I suspect he needed to look for agricultural work out of Norfolk - but no idea exactly what brought him to the north east.

I would predict that the 1861 census will have
Robert Nelson 36 Whissonsett, Norfolk, Labourer
Martha Nelson 32 Weasonham, Norfolk, Labourer
Mary Jane Nelson 6 Whissonsett, Norfolk, scholar
Robert Nelson 4 Whissonsett, Norfolk,
Susan Nelson 3 Whissonsett, Norfolk,
William Nelson 1 Skelton, Yorkshire
or something quite close.

I believe there are several Skeltons in Yorkshire - but I suspect the one for Williams birth is the one near to Redcar and close to Marske by the sea.

Isomer
10-03-2005, 8:41 PM
Hi there.

In 1861 there is the following: -

West Street

Robert Nelson H M 34 Ag Lab Whissonsett, Norfolk
Martha Nelson W M 31 Weasonham, Norfolk
Mary J Nelson D U 6 Whissonsett, Norfolk
Robert J Nelson S U 4 Whissonsett, Norfolk
Susan Nelson D U 3 Whissonsett, Norfolk
William Nelson S U 1 Skelton, Yorkshire

Almost exactly as predicted :-)

revdfg
13-03-2005, 9:01 AM
Many thanks, Isomer, for locating Mary Jane Nelson with her family in 1861. I note that she was at the same address (West Street, Marske) in 1871. I now have a picture of Mary Janes background having detail from all censuses 1861 to 1901 - her origins in Norfolk - her migration to Yorkshire with her parents - her early working life and her eventual marriage into the Robinson family and her move to York. Wonderful. Thanks to help from yourself and others.

You have saved me waiting for 1837 online to reach Yorkshire with its 1861 census data.

Thanks again.

revdfg
13-03-2005, 9:12 AM
Isomer,
Just realised that I am in error in previous reply. Mary Janes parents were still at the West Street address in 1871 but MJN herself was in service to a family at Ruby Street Marske.
Thans again.