PDA

View Full Version : court records

kiwi magic
11-05-2009, 3:06 AM
G'day people,

I'm just wondering how I would go about tracking down court records for a criminal conviction? I was viewing a marriage certificate for one of my ancestors on Scotland's People search site & noticed a note attached to the record from RCE - Register of Corrected Entries. When I opened it I found out that her husband was already married! The note went on to say that he was 'convicted of the Crime of Bigamy', the marriage was dated 29 Jan 1926 & this correction note was dated 12 Jul 1926.

Is there anywhere that I can check this out further? The RCE mentions that it was done through the 'Court of the Sheriffdon of Lanark, on the 8 Jul 1926'.

Also, would the marriage have been annulled or would she have had to get a divorce?

Thanks kindly,
Wendy.

Geoffers
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm just wondering how I would go about tracking down court records for a criminal conviction?

It very much depends on the nature and place of conviction.

I was viewing a marriage certificate for one of my ancestors on Scotland's People search site & noticed a note attached to the record from RCE - Register of Corrected Entries. When I opened it I found out that her husband was already married! The note went on to say that he was 'convicted of the Crime of Bigamy', the marriage was dated 29 Jan 1926 & this correction note was dated 12 Jul 1926.

Assuming that the trial was in Scotland - The National Archives of Scotland (NAS) site has this research guide on crime and criminals (http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/crime.asp)

Also, would the marriage have been annulled or would she have had to get a divorce?

As the second ceremony was illegal no divorce would be needed.

kiwi magic
02-08-2009, 3:23 AM
Dear Geoffers,

Thank you for your help. I will check out the site now. I hopefully I will be able to find something of interest.

Cheers,
Wendy.