PDA

View Full Version : Will available?

Spangle
10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
My Grandad passed away 5 years ago. He left a will and there was no house to leave but there was some money, which went to my Mum and her siblings. It was all straightforward, no arguements and thus I understand that there was none of the sitting at the lawyers table sorting it out which you see on films!

The sum wasn't huge - maybe £50,000 or so, I don't know and it isn't important. I would like a copy of the will to add to my tree for the sake of my children and their descendants when/if they have any. I know that Grandad made personal requests as to how his funeral was to be conducted and so on, and those are the details which matter to me.

Would I be able to obtain a copy through the government records (probate?) service? I don't want to ask my Mum as she is a bit sensitive about it all, understandably, and I fear I would upset her, and also because in our family we don't mention "the vulgar penny" so an inheritance is pretty much a taboo subject.

Spangle
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Think you should be able to obtain one from the Probate Registry without problem, Spangle.
Had an almost identical situation a couple of years ago.

Phew! Thank you Finbar! I may be in my 40s but the thought of causing my mother offence and getting "that look" still makes me tremble!

Colin Moretti
11-05-2009, 7:16 AM
I think that proved wills (excepting those of the royal family) are public documents so anyone can obtain a copy once all the formalities are concluded. You can even ask for a standing search before the will is proved and they will supply one as soon as it is available.

Colin

jeeb
11-05-2009, 8:00 AM
Hi Spangle,
Yes, once a Will has been probated it becomes available to public access.

Jeremy