PDA

View Full Version : Sarah King Loughborough

sueandgareth
09-05-2009, 5:21 PM
Can any one help me please. I have hit a huge brick wall and cannot seem to get any breaks.

I am looking for Sarah King born c 1817 Loughborough. I know from her marriage certificate that her father's name was Edward and she was born in Loughborough but that is all I know/

I am really trying to find her baptism/birth record so that I may be able to find more info.

Any guidance appreciated.

Sue

Geoffers
11-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I am looking for Sarah King born c 1817 Loughborough.....I am really trying to find her baptism/birth record so that I may be able to find more info......Any guidance appreciated.

I cannot help with details of the event, but in case you don't know where to look for the information; you will need to try parish registers which record baptisms, banns, marriages and burials. These are normally stored at county record offices.

If you cannot get to the county record office, you may find that they can provide copies on fiches/film or photocopies. Alternatively, you may be able to hire copies of the registers on film at a mormon church (LDS) record centre - or if you can get to London, try The Society of Genealogists which is the largest library of registers in the country.

From the comfort of your home, it is worth trying the non-conformist registers which can be searched and viewed online on the pay-per-view site TheGenealogist.

Do bear in mind that as the 19th century progressed there was an increasing trend among many families towards later baptisms, and quite often a family would arrange all their children to be baptised on the same day. So you may need to search for sometime after a birth in order to locate such a record.

If registers are not available, try the annual copy that was made, which depending on the year and county may be known as either Archdeacon's Transcripts (ATs) or Bishop's Transcripts (BTs).

sueannbowen
11-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Sue

She doesn't show up on the non-conformist records Geoffers mentions. IGI has a Sarah King, daur of Edward and Mary baptised 24 DEC 1845 Osgathorpe, Leicester, England. Now I know that is ages after she was born but in our lot we had one girl who was baptised the day before she got married! Obviously a condition imposed by the local vicar. Having the spatial awareness of a glass of warm water, I have no idea whether Osgathorpe is anywhere near Loughborough!

I have searched IGI for Sarah daughter of Edward and she is the only one who comes up in the 1800s the others are much earlier.

Soo, it is back to the parish records. they seem to have them for Loughborough for the time you need:
http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/loughborough/allsaintsparishchurch.html but whether you could get a local look up I don't know.

Good luck!
Sue:)

sueandgareth
12-05-2009, 4:55 AM
Thank you for all this information - I really appreciate it.

Sue