PDA

View Full Version : RG, folio and pages

richardstree
08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Its a while since i last did family tree and I cannot remember how to find the place on Ancestry.co.uk to put in RG, folio and page numbers.|oopsredfa

I have done it many times before, but I am completely at a loss as to how i did it before.

Any |help| would be appreciated.

Procat
08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi,

Take a gander at this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45391).

richardstree
08-05-2009, 2:00 PM
I can find out how to enter the folio etc., in the census, but am i correct when I think that i should be able to do the same for BMD.

I have looked at the link above but still cant find a way to enter folio etc., on BMD.

I am particularly looking for the 1895 marriage in the Jul/Sep Liverpool vol 8b page 79.

Someone on here was kind enough to give me the details of the person i have been searching for, but i cannot find this page. When i have put the names etc in the search the pages only go up to 37.

John Nicholas
08-05-2009, 2:26 PM
The references you mention - RG, folio, page etc - are strictly census references and have no application to BMD, on A** or anywhere else.

You appear to have the BMD reference - that's the registration district, quarter & year, volume and page numbers. There's nothing else you can get without ordering a certificate from the register office which recorded the event or the central GRO, which are the only places which have more details. No-one has online copies of certificates.

By the way, if you want to order certificates, do so directly through the register office or online at GRO. Don't use third parties, who generally charge an arm and a leg for certificates!

John

richardstree
08-05-2009, 2:44 PM
Thanks John, it is surprising how much I have forgotten in the few short months that I have not been treeing, things that i knew before seem to have gone completely from my head.

I always use the GRO for my certs, but thanks for the reminder anyway.

Viv

John Nicholas
08-05-2009, 3:02 PM
things that i knew before seem to have gone completely from my head.

Viv

It's called getting older, Viv!!

All the best,
John

v.wells
08-05-2009, 7:27 PM
I like the phraseology "It's because of brain clutter"! :D Which I suffer from greatly!

Mutley
08-05-2009, 9:10 PM
Just a reminder
that if someone does give you a reference then please, please check it for yourself first, before you order.

Typos abound!!! ;)

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

there you can enter the name and the Volume number and Page number.

It is the same information as given by Anc***try in their
Birth, Marriages and Deaths 1837 - 1915 (transcribed by FreeBMD)

MythicalMarian
08-05-2009, 9:15 PM
I like the phraseology "It's because of brain clutter"! :D Which I suffer from greatly!

Yes - and I love Viv's expression of 'treeing'. Viv - you've coined a phrase. I shall be using this from now on :D

v.wells
08-05-2009, 9:18 PM
Yes - and I love Viv's expression of 'treeing'. Viv - you've coined a phrase. I shall be using this from now on :D

Yes, I like that too and will start using it - less figuring out how to keep spelling genealogy:D

Procat
09-05-2009, 12:59 AM
I am particularly looking for the 1895 marriage in the Jul/Sep Liverpool vol 8b page 79.

Someone on here was kind enough to give me the details of the person i have been searching for, but i cannot find this page. When i have put the names etc in the search the pages only go up to 37.

If you go to FreeBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) search page you can do a search for an entry with the details you have.

I just tried it and was supplied with 5 names (one appears to be a transcription error). I also only selected the quarter, page and volume numbers. I didn't bother with the names of the parties in this instance nor the district name.

The search engine on Ancestry also has this facility if you are on the BMD search page.

As John said though, the only information you will get is the names of the parties and the district, volume and page reference.

richardstree
09-05-2009, 7:38 AM
I had no luck looking for Charles Henry Lansdown for months.

I posted on here and almost immediately Jeeb came up with the info, he gave me names and the area that i was familiar with.

the funny thing was he gave me one set ie

Jul/sep 1895 Liverpool vol 8b page 79

When i used some of the information he supplied me with that i hadnt had before (although the info i supplied him got the end results|banghead) I ca up with the relative i was looking for but with a different set of folio etc.

Charles Lansdown Liverpool vol 8b page 21 (these are my people).

Even though the vol and page wasnt right, it wasnt wrong either - if you know what i mean because i did eventually find Lansdown/Bolan. Magic!

I dont know how it worked but maybe if I look hard enough maybe I will find Paul Daniels is a long lost relative!