Died 1988

We believe he was a Romany

His father was Thomas Loveridge
DOB 1883 Deptford
Mother unknown

His father was Thomas Loveridge
DOB 1861 Deptford
Mother unknown

Albert had four children, Rita, Jean, John and Albert.

The exact date of Alberts birth isnt acurate, he had to go to court to be given a birth date by a judge. The judge chose 1900 to enable Albert to get a pension later in life.

Mutley
07-05-2009, 11:05 PM
In the 1901 census there is a Thomas Loveridge born in about 1861, he is a street hawker born in Deptford and living in Hale St, St. Paul, Deptford.

Family:
Wife, Elizabeth, born 1853 in Croydon Surrey, a Hawker
Son, Thomas born 1883 in Deptford, a Hawker
Dau, Edith born 1893 in Deptford
Henry, born 1897 in Deptford

On the previous page is another family of Loveridge, also hawkers in the greengrocery trade. They live at 50 Hale Street.
Adolphus age 49 born Northampton
Sophia age 48 born Notting Hill
John age 15 born Deptford
Emily age 11 born Deptford
Norah age 6 born Deptford

RG13/527, Folio 70, Pages 15 and 16

There is a birth registration for a Thomas Henry Loveridge in Lewisham in March 1864 1d/786. Age is a bit out though.

Mutley
07-05-2009, 11:23 PM
In 1881 there is a Thomas Loveridge born about 1859 who is a Peddler. He says he was born in Barnes in Surrey. He is living with an Elizabeth born Budenham? Kent in about 1860 and they have a daughter Polly age 1 year. Polly was born in Whitehouse, Surrey

They are living at 25 Stanhope Street.
RG11/701, Folio 102, Page 23

P.S. Budenham might be Sydenham, same area. The writing is very faint.

Mutley
07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I cannot see Thomas and Elizabeth in 1891 but Adolphus turns up again ;)

This time he is married to Elizabeth and living at 3 Stanhope Street. He is a Hotel Cook and born in Deptford in 1863.
As is,
Elizabeth his wife, born 1857 in Deptford
Children are
Polly born 1878 in Deptford
Jumbo born 1885 in Deptford
Adolphus born 1890 in Deptford

RG12/494, Folio 117, Page 34

I'll leave you to sort out who is who. ;)

richardstree
08-05-2009, 5:54 AM
Hello Mutley

thanks for the information, i havent done family tree for a while because i hit a complete brick wall a few months ago.

i am going to reregister with ancestry today and have a look at the information you have given me.

My husbands male side of the family have all died and we cant really get any information at all on the Loveridges, the name Polly has been mentioned previously by my mother in law, but she just thimks the name may be familiar and nothing else.

There is one aunt who was a Loveridge before she married, she is quite elderly, she is the daughter of Albert. We have asked a few questions but she very quickly goes off on a tangent. Perhaps if i print off the information you have given me and show it to her, she may come up with something.

Joc_42
30-07-2009, 9:55 PM
Hi

We are also researching Loveridge/Sibthorpe family tree - I believe there to be an Albert but at this stage I not absolutley sure - so I was hoping maybe we could swap some info.

The definate info I have is the birth of Mary Ann Loveridge in 1875 in Deptford although on her death cert for some reason it states Bromley she died in 1976.

Her father was Thomas Loveridge mother unknown at this stage - we do not have much other info other than her 1st marriage was to a Benjamin Banks in 1897 with whom she had several children and they lived in Hale street in 1901 as per the census.

When she married my great grandfather in 1918 she lived at no 12 Hale st.

I'm hoping that yr Albert is related so we will be able to move forward from here.

Any advice or info will be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Joc

richardstree
31-07-2009, 4:15 AM
Hello Joc_42

Again I havent been doing the tree for a while, at least two months, so I will have to have another look at it and get back to you in the next couple of days.

Info about Albert Loveridge from marriage cert
He was married to Ethel Mary Ellingford Baxter in 1924.
At that time Albert lived at 23 Hale Street, Deptford (father was Thomas)
Mary lived at 5 Hale Street (father was Alfred Ellingford Baxter)
On the cert he is aged 22 (in 1924) and a labourer
Ethel was 18

Information from my father-in-laws birth cert about Albert Loveridge
They lived at 5 Hale Street in 1929. Albert was a Street hawker then.

I still haven't got any further with this name, no matter what questions i ask, there seems to be a brick wall. If it is the same Albert, he has one remaining living daughter. His children were Albert, John, Rita and Jean.

There was talk of Albert having a sister named Polly, but it was not a definite, I have asked but can't find out if there were any other relatives. I dont know Thomas Loveridges wifes name, no one else seems to either.

I do hope some of this helps. As i said, i will check through my tree and get back to you in the next couple of days if i can find out any other details that i havent mentioned here.

Good luck and I do hope that they are related because the Loveridge name is going nowhere and a step in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Joc_42
31-07-2009, 1:51 PM
Many thanks I will also do the same and try and make sense of all the information I am receiving and hopefully we can get a bit further.

My Mum also remembers the name Polly so we could well be talking about the same branch of the Loveridge family.

All the best and I'll be in touch.

Jo

richardstree
01-08-2009, 2:42 AM
Hello Jo

That would be so exciting, after doing this tree for the last 4 years and getting nowhere at all to suddenly find someone who could be tracing the same people.

What side is the Loveridge name in your family? Mother or fathers side?

We are Loveridges it is my married name.

I sometimes wonder if the name Polly is a red herring, there is one on the census but I cant attach it in anyway to my tree.

I do hope one of us finds some information that triggers some movement.

richardstree
10-10-2009, 7:44 AM
Just returned from a visit to England, while I was there I had the chance to speak to my MIL. She has tried to get information from the only remaining child of Albert Lovert who was born around 1900.

There was still no information at all.

Then my MIL suddenly brought up the name Jumbo Loveridge. She doesnt use the internet and would not have come up with the name through having read a census.

I know there is a Jumbo Loveridge on 1891 census. There is also a Polly listed on the same census.

This might be a breakthrough. I know these names have been mentioned before on this site but never the name Jumbo by a relative.

I think I may need to google Jumbo Loveridge, there cant be that many of them!

AdeleE
10-10-2009, 1:15 PM
Here's an interesting baptism from the London Births & Baptism database:

Parish church, Christchurch, Deptford

Born 4 Jan 1902, Bapt 26 Jan 1902, Albert, son of Thomas & Elizabeth LOVIDGE, 34 Hale St, hawker

Adele

Joc_42
27-01-2010, 7:35 PM
Hi

Sorry have only just been researching again - Jumbo was my great grandmothers Mary-ann (also know as polly we now know) brother so it def looks as if we may be looking at the same family!!!! How exciitng.

Think we def need to get our heads together to go through our parts of the jigsaw and see if we can put them together.