PDA

View Full Version : I found him!! - in the 19C Brit Newspapers!!

Carolyn O'Flaherty
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Tonight I've subscribed to the 19 Century British Newspapers for 1 week. I can't believe it |biggrin| I've just found out where my O'Flaherty family came from in Ireland.

I've been searchin for a year. but didn't have a clue where they were from in Ireland. The marriage notice for my 2 great grandfather, John O'Flaherty in the Liverpool Mercury for 17 October 1863 records that he is the 2nd son of Thomas O'Flaherty, of Salthill, County Galway.

I couldn't believe my eyes|jumphappy

I don't really know how to trace the Irish (considering I'm in Australia) as I don't think their reconrds are on line, but it is a start.

Carolyn

Procat
06-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Good on you Carolyn,

certainly worth a weeks subscription. :)

ChristineR
06-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Congratulations Carolyn!

I don't really know how to trace the Irish (considering I'm in Australia) as I don't think their reconrds are on line, but it is a start.

Have a look at this website - has a researching UK and Irish records from abroad section. Also what is available and where for Galway.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/

Hugh Thompson
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Carolyn, have you had a look at Fáilte Romhat, good luck.
Hugh.
Griffiths Valuation of Ireland Index Extracts 1848-1864
Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Rahoon, County Galway(web address below)

Flaherty Patrick Salthill Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Anthony Attithomasrevagh Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Anthony Fairhill Road Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Bridget Henry St. Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Bryan New Road West Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Edward Pollnarooma West Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Patrick Lenaboy Rahoon Galway
O'Flaherty Thomas St. Helena St. Rahoon Galway

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/rahoon.php

v.wells
06-05-2009, 2:29 PM
Good on you Carolyn,

certainly worth a weeks subscription. :)

Good for you Carolyn! I might have to try that avenue. You certainly got your money's worth |hug|

sandiep
06-05-2009, 7:17 PM
Try looking at your Local Library for Newspaper Collections..........I registered for mine in Oxfordshire and they have Times and 19th century british newspapers free online to members

sandie

Red Kite
06-05-2009, 8:50 PM
I can't find it on Oxfordshire Library, Sandie - only the Times.

sandiep
06-05-2009, 9:04 PM
When you click on Times and then enter your library card number it takes you to The Times , The 19th century British Newspapers and a Litfinder which has lots of Litrature and poetry books....................just checked still there sandie

Red Kite
06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Found it .... fantastic! (The so and so's have done a good job hiding it, haven't they)

I'm doubly in your debt, as I had forgotten I had a book due back so have renewed it just in time - many thanks! :)

sandiep
06-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Glad to oblige:)

It is funny they havent got it on front page.............hope its going stay around a while

sandie

MythicalMarian
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Well done, Carolyn - I'm thrilled for you. I haven't even attempted my McKeons. Perhaps your luck will spur me on.

Mutley
06-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Google for the "Irish Family History Foundation" site, on there you can download the information from a certificate for 5€.

You may also find some information on the FHS Pilot site (http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408 347). It's free but as it is only a pilot it is a pain to search but rewarding if you find them. ;)

caliope
06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
That's great news, Carolyn! Congrats! :)

Red Kite
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Dear oh dear, I've found some most unsavoury stuff about my rellies .... theft, manslaughter, "shocking depravity" :eek: ooooh I hope there's more :rolleyes:

v.wells
08-05-2009, 2:52 PM
Dear oh dear, I've found some most unsavoury stuff about my rellies .... theft, manslaughter, "shocking depravity" :eek: ooooh I hope there's more :rolleyes:

|jumphappy I wish I could find stuff like that!

Carolyn O'Flaherty
09-05-2009, 3:28 AM
Oooh er. I've been following the mixed fortunes of my 2 x great grandfather, William Birt the Shoemaker, in the 1880's , via the Liverpool Mercury newspaper.

William starts off O.K. but life does get a bit hectic. This is how the Liverpool Mercury records some of William's life story:

- William advertises in the Help Wanted section "wanted young man accustomed to boot and shoe business", on 2 January 1857.

- then there is the printing of the Notice of his marriage to Mary Roane on 29 May 1857.

- then there is the Birth Notice for his son on 7 June 1858

- then there is the conviction of a fellow for the boot theft from William's shop door on 25 September 1858.

- then William advertises in the Help Wanted section "Wanted active youth for boot and shoe shop" on 8 October 1858. (Perhaps William was hoping to employ an assistant who was young enough and active enough to chase down thieves!!)

- then there is the notice of William's bankruptcy on 5 May 1860. That would be enough to drive you to |5cups|

- then there are printed notices of meetings of William's creditors and a repayment schedule of 3s 5d each Wednesday from 18 August 1860.

- William must have been able to keep trading as a shoemaker because on 16 July 1862 there is the record of the conviction of a felllow (different fellow from last time) for the boot theft from William's shop door. This thief has a prior conviction and so is sentenced to 4 years penal servitude.|nutkick|

- William's bankruptcy is recorded as being annulled on 16 March 1863.

I don't see anything else printed about William (there could be more but I haven't found it)..........until :

- the birth notice for William's TRIPLET sons on 27 May 1880 The birth notice reads "the wife of William Birth, shoemaker of Dursley, Glouchester has given birth to 3 sons". |birthday|:confused:|help|

The 3 baby boys are named William Samuel, Ephraim John and Sidney Thomas. Their mother was aged 42 and their father aged 47 when the triplets were born.

Their mother Mary gave birth to at least 15 children between 1858 and 1881. Not all of them survived.

The 19c Liverpool Mercury has given me a fascinating glimpse into the life story of 2x great grandfather, William the Shoeman. It has added such a lot to this branch of my family tree.

One night I stayed up reading the 1880's edition of this newspaper until 2a.m. My excuse was that the 1 week's subscription cost about $25 Ausgtralian for 200 dowloands and I have to get my money's worth. I was a bit tired at work the next day!!

Luckily it is now the weekend.

I look forward to reading about the "doings" of other B-G ers families, gleaned from the 1880's newsapers.

Happy hunting,

Carolyn

Procat
09-05-2009, 4:07 AM
Hi Carolyn,

You have certainly hit the jackpot with the newspapers resource.

Heading for another weeks subscription?:)

Carolyn O'Flaherty
09-05-2009, 4:18 AM
Hi Carolyn,

You have certainly hit the jackpot with the newspapers resource.

Heading for another weeks subscription?:)

I might have to, it is all too fascinating. I also get caught up reading the other news items in the papers. In those times, no one seemed to hold back with how they discribed people who had "done wrong".

I've got today's weekend Australian and Sydney Morning Herald sitting here right next to me. I haven't read a word. I'm too busy catching up with what was happening in the 1800s.

Carolyn

Procat
09-05-2009, 4:26 AM
Hi Carolyn,

Did you know that as a NSW resident you can access the newspapers for free from home via the State Library of NSW?

See this link (http://www2.sl.nsw.gov.au/databases/athome.cfm).

Carolyn O'Flaherty
09-05-2009, 4:39 AM
Hi Carolyn,

Did you know that as a NSW resident you can access the newspapers for free from home via the State Library of NSW?

See this link (http://www2.sl.nsw.gov.au/databases/athome.cfm).

Thank you Doug. That is a great tip.

I didn't know they were available through the NSW State Library. I've now subscribed and within 10 days I will have my readers card.

It is curious isn't it, I enquired with the Newcastle library (family history section) and the librarian looked at me as if I was completely bonkers and said "19c British newspapers are not available in Australia."

I specifically asked if the newspapers would be available through the State Library. Same answer.

Just goes to show, I should follow my own advice, never take "No" as the answer (unless that is the one you want)!!

Thanks again,

Carolyn

Procat
09-05-2009, 4:41 AM
Perhaps you should send them the information for the benefit of others. :)

I only thought of checking as I get the same deal through the SLV.

Carolyn O'Flaherty
09-05-2009, 4:55 AM
Perhaps you should send them the information for the benefit of others. :)

I only thought of checking as I get the same deal through the SLV.

Yes, I'm going to do that. I'll even be gracious about it. They usually are very helpful.

I started off looking for the 19C newspapers when the death certificate for my 2x great Grandfather Peter O'Flaherty noted that he had died on Christmas Day by immersion in the River Mersey. There was a coroner's inquest but the coroners records for that year hadn't survived. I then thought perhaps it was recorded in the Liverpool local newspaper.

Another B-Ger kindly told me what the newspaper report said. I then was determined to see it for myself.

So.... after enquiries with British Library (1/2 the world away), who advised the newspapers would be available online for viewing in May 2009, I patiently waited ... and waited....until May. I now find that the newspapers have been available all along, in NSW. Such is the interesting path of researching family history. a new thing learnt every day.

Thank goodness for email. How did we cope when there was only snail mail?

Carolyn

Procat
09-05-2009, 5:02 AM
So.... after enquiries with British Library (1/2 the world away), who advised the newspapers would be available online for viewing in May 2009, I patiently waited ... and waited....until May. I now find that the newspapers have been available all along, in NSW. Such is the interesting path of researching family history. a new thing learnt every day.

They have only recently gone on - perhaps the last 2 months or so.

Thank goodness for email. How did we cope when there was only snail mail?

Don't know - before my time. I wish. :D

Carolyn O'Flaherty
09-05-2009, 5:41 AM
Don't know - before my time. I wish. :D[/QUOTE]

Ha...................we all wish!!

Carolyn