PDA

View Full Version : Multimedia files naming convention/format

aquiss
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I am using RootsMagic v4 (UK Version) but this question may apply generally.

I am been doing my family tree for about 6 months, and have so far researched in some detail a few hundred members of the tree. However, i am now at the stage where I want to getting more professional in the way i'm holding data.

What exactly is the correct naming convention (is there one??) to link pictures, census image copies, gravestones found etc to people in the tree?

arthurk
06-05-2009, 3:54 PM
Sometimes the only answer to this kind of question is "what works best for you". A lot may depend on how many images you have, and how many more you expect to accumulate.

I'm not aware of there being any convention as such for naming images, but probably the most useful file name would include the full name of the person concerned or at least a surname, and something to indicate the type of image (a 2-letter code or similar?) and the year it relates to. The more images you have, the more precise your file names will need to be; and you'd probably also need to arrange them in a suitable hierarchy of folders and subfolders.

Sorry this is a bit vague, but I hope it helps (and no-one else has said anything)!

Arthur