PDA

View Full Version : Hillman, Epwell, Oxon. Where do I go next?

Sarah Hilly
01-03-2005, 8:10 PM
I have been researching the Hillman family of Epwell and surrounding areas. I have visited the records office a few times and also the local parish church where records go back to 1750. I am looking for details of Alexander Hillman born in 1750 in Epwell but I have no other details other than the entry in the parish register of births.

Can anyone help and tell me where I can go next to go further back?

Sarah Hillman

Geoffers
01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
I have been researching the Hillman family of Epwell and surrounding areas. I have visited the records office a few times and also the local parish church where records go back to 1750. I am looking for details of Alexander Hillman born in 1750 in Epwell but I have no other details other than the entry in the parish register of births.Can anyone help and tell me where I can go next to go further back?1750 seems quite recent for registers to begin - have they just not survived from earlier or was Epwell previously a chapelry within a larger parish?

If they have not survived from prior to 1750, an alternative to registers is the annual copy made, known as Archdeacon's (ATs) and Bishop's Transcripts (BTs).

Have you actually found your chap in the register? If so, does it record his parents? Have you checked the registers for the surrounding villages? (e.g. the Sibfords, Shutford, Swalcliffe, Shenington, etc) as families often moved about locally.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

dhillman
20-09-2005, 3:10 PM
I have been researching the Hillman family of Epwell and surrounding areas. I have visited the records office a few times and also the local parish church where records go back to 1750. I am looking for details of Alexander Hillman born in 1750 in Epwell but I have no other details other than the entry in the parish register of births.

Can anyone help and tell me where I can go next to go further back?

Sarah Hillman

Hi Sarah
My name is David Hillman related (I believe) to Alexander Hillman 1750, but also there is a Sarah on Genes Reunited whose husband is directly related to Alexander as well who may have more information.
Good luck
Regards
David

ps are you Sarah Hilly or Hillman

Peter Goodey
20-09-2005, 7:27 PM
"1750 seems quite recent for registers to begin"

Couldn't agree more. Especially since the Society of Genealogists' Library have Epwell PRs from 1577! They must be lurking in the Records Office somewhere. Perhaps Sarah should ask again.