PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Details

Titanicfan
04-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi all, Can someone please tell me what info. is contained on a baptism entry after 1837? I am hoping that when I hopefully locate this baptism - it will contain some info. on the father's occupation and address but I haven't seen a post-1837 baptism entry before. I already have the birth certificate but the info. on this does not really reveal very much. :)

Kerrywood
04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
There was no change to the format of Anglican baptism registers in 1837. In fact there have been no substantive changes at all from 1813 to the present day.

Have a look here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/registers/home.htm) :)

Kerrywood

Titanicfan
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Kerrywood.

I really must remember to use the Brit-Gen Resources pages more! :o

lancsbank51
13-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I think i must be missing something .Where can one see parish baptism records on line and are they detailed or just indexes as ian-opc has not got them for aston u lyne.

Peter Goodey
13-05-2009, 10:37 AM
I think i must be missing something .Where can one see parish baptism records on line and are they detailed or just indexes as ian-opc has not got them for aston u lyne.

The National Archives beginners' guide covers all such basic information
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/

ModlrMike
13-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I think i must be missing something .Where can one see parish baptism records on line and are they detailed or just indexes as ian-opc has not got them for aston u lyne.Parish Registers online is a very hit and miss thing. If you know the parish, you can google it, but your chances are even money at best. I've been lucky in that most of my areas are online.

benny1982
13-05-2009, 3:44 PM
Hi

After 1813, baptism and burial entries were standardised in printed format giving childs name, date of baptism, parents names, abode, fathers occupation, and by whom the ceremony was performed. Sometimes the date of birth is given, but that can very from parish to parish or change of clergy. Sometimes even the mothers maiden name is given. I have seen plenty of examples of this in Suffolk and Durham.

Before 1813, baptism details varied greatly from parish to parish.

Ben

Wirral
13-05-2009, 4:59 PM
Hi

After 1813, baptism and burial entries were standardised in printed format

The standard format was different for Roman Catholic church baptisms. The RC baptism registers include the mother's maiden name & the names of the godparent/s.

benny1982
13-05-2009, 9:36 PM
The standard format was different for Roman Catholic church baptisms. The RC baptism registers include the mother's maiden name & the names of the godparent/s.

Its a pity the Anglican Churches didnt name godparents as it would make it a bit easier to trace our ancestors as quite a few of the godparents were blood relatives.

Wirral
14-05-2009, 7:18 PM
Its a pity the Anglican Churches didnt name godparents as it would make it a bit easier to trace our ancestors as quite a few of the godparents were blood relatives.
I've just been looking at some more recent C of E baptisms today (1940s, 1950s) & they do have a column for godparents. I don't know when these new baptism registers were introduced.

benny1982
14-05-2009, 10:19 PM
We often think about the "if onlys" in genealogy such as if only civil reg began in 1737 rather than 1837.

MythicalMarian
14-05-2009, 10:57 PM
We often think about the "if onlys" in genealogy such as if only civil reg began in 1737 rather than 1837.

Oh, don't, Benny! You'd have thought that with all the sweeping changes that man OC made after 1649, he could have at least had a go at introducing civil registration - damn his eyes. :D

Colin Moretti
15-05-2009, 7:48 AM
I've just been looking at some more recent C of E baptisms today (1940s, 1950s) & they do have a column for godparents. I don't know when these new baptism registers were introduced.Not all of them, I'm afraid. I have my original baptism certificate, 1941, no godparents recorded and as I don't recall ever having known their names I decided to check the parish register - zilch, at least as far as godparents are concerned. |banghead|

Colin

Peter Goodey
15-05-2009, 8:00 AM
You'd have thought that with all the sweeping changes that man OC made after 1649, he could have at least had a go at introducing civil registration

Civil registration was introduced during the Commonwealth period.

It was one of the many sad events connected with the return of the monarchy that destroyed the system and returned the responsibility to the church.