PDA

View Full Version : Farnham & Hartley Wintney District School

ruthrrr
01-03-2005, 1:03 PM
Hi

Does anyone have any information on this establishment @ 1881? One of my ancestors Frederick SCHOFIELD (age 7) was an "inmate" of the above school on the 1881 census. I don't think his family were wealthy enough to send him away to school and indeed two of his siblings were in service. I am wondering whether this was some form of charity institution, possibly a junior version of a workhouse.

Regards

Ruth

FredP
04-03-2005, 3:59 PM
Hi Ruth,
I am not sure, but I think this is the one. I was a bit puzzled because Farnham is in Surrey and H W in Hampshire and lots of other places in between, but in one of these, CRONDALL, a large parish now split up, I fund the following in the 1885 Kelly's Directory.
At CRONDALL, in Hartley Wintney Union, and Farnham County Court District -
District Workhouse School for 200 children: John Farr Phillips, Superintendant, Mrs Phillips, Matron, Thomas John Burroughs M D, medical officer.
All the other schools I found in the area were National Schools.
Hope this helps,
FredP.

ruthrrr
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Ruth,
I am not sure, but I think this is the one. I was a bit puzzled because Farnham is in Surrey and H W in Hampshire and lots of other places in between, but in one of these, CRONDALL, a large parish now split up, I fund the following in the 1885 Kelly's Directory.
At CRONDALL, in Hartley Wintney Union, and Farnham County Court District -
District Workhouse School for 200 children: John Farr Phillips, Superintendant, Mrs Phillips, Matron, Thomas John Burroughs M D, medical officer.
All the other schools I found in the area were National Schools.
Hope this helps,
FredP.
Hi FredP

This does help alot. I have now googled "crondall workhouse" and come up with a page about the school.

Ruth