PDA

View Full Version : Tha final little detail that means so much

MythicalMarian
03-05-2009, 12:38 PM
It's only a little incidental thing, but having now received copies of all those wonderful documents (The Hamilton Papers) from the LRO which I enthused about on another thread, I have at long last, after 24 years, found the birthdate and baptism for my great great grandma Betty Siddal. I had searched all the usual places and parish records, and had just given up, recording her as born 'circa 1801' in Cheadle. I knew her family, her parents and ancestry etc, so nothing would be gained by actually discovering the baptism in black and white.

But it's always nice to just get that final little detail, and I am now in possession of the copy of an affidavit that was presented as part of a long-running chancery case (1787-1851) and lo and behold, my Betty was born on 7th December 1801 and baptised on 7th February 1802 at the Mount Tabor Chapel, New Connexion Methodists in Stockport! I would never have dreamed of looking at these records, even had I known where to find them!

So, my Betty had two sisters baptised in the local Presbyterian church, a younger brother and sister baptised in the local Church of England and herself a Methodist. Obviously, god-bothering wasn't a big thing for this family - they just nipped into the nearest, convenient place. :)

Now I just need to find her eldest brother John's baptism to complete the family - goodness knows where they went for him. Pick a church, pick a denomination - my Siddals weren't fussy in Cheadle. My docs have proved, however, that the said brother John had no issue, so his bap isn't crucial - just one of those final little details.

I might add also that I have spent 24 years tracing my direct line and now I find that a pedigree had been sitting in my grandfather's house for generations! Ah well - it wouldn;t have been half as much fun if I'd found this years ago - and at least I now have the satisfaction of knowing I traced everything correctly. :D

Procat
04-05-2009, 7:10 AM
It is nice to get that final confirmation.

I bet when you got the papers there was a combination of happy dancing and mumbling about "why didn't I look there before?". :D

Well done.

v.wells
04-05-2009, 2:50 PM
It is nice to get that final confirmation.

I bet when you got the papers there was a combination of happy dancing and mumbling about "why didn't I look there before?". :D

Well done.

It is always so satisfying to discover you were right in your assumptions and that the information you have gathered is correct. I am so happy for you Mythical |hug|

MythicalMarian
04-05-2009, 3:09 PM
Thanks Vanessa and Procat - it is indeed a lovely feeling. I had come to love those distant ancestors as though I'd lived with them! Nice to know I don't have to give any of them up. I've also discovered more work to do, as my great great grandma's uncle had two lads that I had never known about. Ah well...we love all this research, don't we.

A nice touch in the chancery documents was the detailing of all the relatives of our relative Robert Hamilton: which of them was living when he wrote his will, who had died since, who was living when his widow made her will and so on. There is a complete family record there, and I'm slowly buying new wills to do further research on these new family members. What is really nice is that I got lots of daughters' information - i.e. their husbands and children etc. It's sometimes hard to trace the ladies who have changed their surname. Now I know what happened to them all.

The LRO took ages to send the docs but it has been well worth the wait.