PDA

View Full Version : ayscough

michelle thomas
01-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm looking for my grandfathers family, whom I know had links with Norfolk, and in particular Norwich. My grandfather - Geoffrey Martin, born 16th December, 1883, and served in the South Lancashire Regiment in India; - and had father - John, born Norwich - 1845/7 - a merchant and shipper; mother - Frances, born Paddington, London - 1849/50; and at least 5 siblings - Walter, 1883 Ivan, born Bedford Park, London - 1888; - Alice, born Chiswick, Middlesex - 1886; - Alan born Ashstead, Surrey -1893; - and David 1892. Its only in the last 6 weeks that I had any relatives on this side of the family, and having researched the other three branches of the family over many years, this branch is really frustrating me. Can anyone help me to further my investigations.

Geoffers
01-03-2005, 3:45 PM
I'm looking for my grandfathers family, whom I know had links with Norfolk, and in particular Norwich. My grandfather - Geoffrey Martin, born 16th December, 1883, and served in the South Lancashire Regiment in India; - and had father - John, born Norwich - 1845/7 - a merchant and shipper.
I've checked the 1851 census transcript and only one Ayscough is shown in Norfolk:

HO107/1830 f94 p1
Downham Road, Tottenhill
Charlotte THOMPSON, Head, Wid, 63, Annuitant, bn Isle Of Ely Wisbeach
Caroline THOMPSON, Daur, Unm, 40, ---, bn Middleton-Nfk
Frederic AYSCOUGH, Vist, , 5, Schl, bn London-Mid
Mary GAMBLE, Lodg, Wid, 71, ---, bn Swaffham-Nfk
Gilbert Crown GAMBLE, Lodg, Unm, 33, ---, bn Lynn-Nfk

The 1881 census shows that a majority of people with the surname were born in Yorkshire, with several from Lincolnshire. Could yours have been a trading family, moving south? No trace of the name in the Rosary Cemetery records (the main cemetery in Norwich) or in the index to Norwich CIty Officers - which if they had been in the city for any time, they are likely to have appeared in one or the other. Lastly, I had a look in some mid-19th century directories and slightly earlier poll books without luck.

Geoffers

alexays
06-10-2006, 9:53 PM
I'm looking for my grandfathers family, whom I know had links with Norfolk, and in particular Norwich. My grandfather - Geoffrey Martin, born 16th December, 1883, and served in the South Lancashire Regiment in India; - and had father - John, born Norwich - 1845/7 - a merchant and shipper; mother - Frances, born Paddington, London - 1849/50; and at least 5 siblings - Walter, 1883 Ivan, born Bedford Park, London - 1888; - Alice, born Chiswick, Middlesex - 1886; - Alan born Ashstead, Surrey -1893; - and David 1892. Its only in the last 6 weeks that I had any relatives on this side of the family, and having researched the other three branches of the family over many years, this branch is really frustrating me. Can anyone help me to further my investigations.
Hello Cousin - if you ever pop back here ;-)

Found John born Norwich 1845. His father appears to be Samuel H Jobe Askew looking at the record - although ancestry have it down as Asher. Jeez so we are not even pure bred Ayscoughs. The shame the shame....

My Great Grandfather Gerald was born in 1866 in Middlesex England - his father Alfred was born 1836 in Norwich. Gerald was also a merchant and shipper.