PDA

View Full Version : Charles Edward Sheldon

cgsheldon
30-04-2009, 8:50 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to determine if the Charles Edward Sheldon who fought in the Second Anglo-Boer War is the same man as my great grandfather, Charles Edward Sheldon jnr.

Charles jnr. was born c.1877, Cannock, Staffordshire, England and died 18 October 1932 on the Don Pedro Jetty, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. He was a Marine Engineer. He may have left England c.1891 with his father, Charles snr., as they both fail to appear on the England Census for that year, or any subsequent year, despite having appeared in the 1881 Census; it's believed he may have spent some part of the 1890s in the United States of America.

At some point Charles jnr. decided to come to South Africa; his son Norman Edward Sheldon was born c.1905, and its possible another son, Cecil Joseph Sheldon, was born earlier. So Charles jnr. must have arrived in South Africa sometime prior to that date.

I have found mention of a Charles Sheldon (no middle name given), regimental number 23196, who enlisted in Maitland, Cape Town, on 19 December 1900. His age is given as 24 years old, single, nationality is English, and his trade was Seaman. He joined Kitchener's Horse. (Source: UK National Archives Ref WO 126/87, and GenealogyWorld.

Then, I found a Charles Edward Sheldon (this time with the middle name), with the same regimental number, 23196, as the above man. He is listed as a Sergeant in Roberts Horse, also serving in the Boer War. So it seems Charles jnr. may have also been promoted during his military service, if this is indeed the same man. (Source: UK National Archives WO 127)

Is there any way to determine if these two men are one and the same?

Any assistance you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.