PDA

View Full Version : Coronell Buttler 1643 Bampton - Any Ideas?

StevieE
30-04-2009, 8:27 PM
Hi
I have found my 8th great grandmother is one Mary Buttler whose christening record on the IGI declares her as being christened on 18 Jun 1643, Bampton Oxfordshire. Her father is simply stated as Coronell Buttler. I believe this to be a variation on the spelling of Colonel and am trying to find out if there was a Colonel Buttler in the area at the time, which side he was on and where he came from. Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Geoffers
01-05-2009, 7:53 AM
I have found my 8th great grandmother is one Mary Buttler whose christening record on the IGI declares her as being christened on 18 Jun 1643, Bampton Oxfordshire. Her father is simply stated as Coronell Buttler.

First thing to do would be to check the parish register for yourself to confirm the entry and see if there is any other detail. Could Coronell actually end in 'tt'?? Which would place a different persepctive on his rank.

IF he was a Colonel, he may well have left a will which might make interesting reading.

IvorCarr
04-05-2009, 9:14 AM
There was a Lieutenant Colonel Francis Boteler (often spelt Butler) in Sir John Byron's regiment of horse. Over the winter of 1642/3 they were quartered at Burford. He was born in 1613 the son of Ralph Boteler of Branfield Hertfordshire. In July 1643 he was knighted for his courage at the battle of Roundway Down. In January 1644 he was captured at the battle of Nampwich and sent to London as a prisoner. He was MP for Hertford 1685-7 and died in 1690.

StevieE
04-05-2009, 9:59 AM
A kind person at Rootschat had the Bampton PRs and looked it up for me and said that the spellling is exactly the same as the IGI. She has found no other references to Coronell Butler in the PRs.
I have since found that there was a parliamentarian Colonel John Butler in the area, and on British History Online he is referred to as being a lessee of Woodstock manor and was also involved in requisitioning building materials for Begbroke House. He was C/O of a regiment of horse in the Southern Army Association.
I think a will is probably the only way to go, although I will also trawl the historical documents available to view on the LDS (they have calendar rolls, Feet of Fines, abstracts of probate acts etc).

Thanks for the suggestions anyway

Kerrywood
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I think a will is probably the only way to go, although I will also trawl the historical documents available to view on the LDS (they have calendar rolls, Feet of Fines, abstracts of probate acts etc).

Maybe have a look too at the index and transcriptions on the Oxfordshire FHS wills site (http://wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/) ?

Kerrywood