PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Hampshire (c.1876-1945)

cgsheldon
30-04-2009, 6:11 PM
Hello,

I'm researching my second great grandfather, whose name may have been either Alfred Hampshire or Wilfred Alfred Hampshire. He was allegedly born c.1876, Oldham, Lancashire and died 13 July 1945, Cape Town. He was married to Eva Hampshire.

According to family legend, W.A., as he is known in my family, was en route to India as a member of the British Army. However, the Boer War broke out and W.A.'s ship was re-routed to South Africa. It's not known what regiment W.A. served in, although family legend has it that he trained troops in or around the Castle of Good Hope; this, coupled with the ambiguity over his name, has made him incredibly difficult to find.

However, I do have a photograph of W.A. in uniform, sadly, its not the clearest of pictures, but I was hoping that perhaps the badges on the lapels might be identifiable, particularly of the center man, name unknown. The location of where the photo was taken is also unknown.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Geoffers
01-05-2009, 7:41 AM
Nearly all British Army records are held at The National Archives (TNA) which will be difficult for you to access from where you live. However, their records in document classes WO96 and WO97 are being digitally scanned with a view to being put online by 2011 on the pay-per-view site findmypast.

It may be possible to identify the document file at TNA using their catalogue and request an esitmate for copying the document see this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35481)

georgiep
01-05-2009, 8:15 AM
Hi cg
The only Alfred I can find born Oldham is with his folks in 1881 & 1891 father William however Alfred was born in 1878 in both census.
Sorry not of much help.
Have you any details for his marriage to Eva please?

Thank you
Georgie

cgsheldon
26-06-2009, 6:13 AM
Hello Geoffers,

Thank you for that information about findmypast; I've been trying to figure out this mystery of Alfred's identity for some time now, I think I can wait a few more years.

Hello Georgie,

I still do suspect that the Alfred found in the 1881 and 1891 census is the man I'm looking for, but the lack of a definite name - on his gravestone, he is "W.A. Hamsphire" and on a plaque for a pair of his shoes he is "Alfred Hampshire" - forces me to try and find more evidence.

As for Alfred's wife, all that's known for certain is that he married Eva in South Africa. Her maiden name is believed to be either Susman, Sussman, Sassman or a variation thereof, leaving her identity as much of a question mark as her husband.

Thank you both for your time,
Craig

georgiep
27-06-2009, 7:33 AM
Hi Craig
Thanks for reply and info.
Couldn't find anything in Anc* WW1 so Wilf/Alf was probably well entrenched in South Africa.
Nothing much in All Resources at the Mormons site for Sussman (German?)family in S.A
Do you know the names of his children at all? Just wondering if they may connect to the family from Oldham in census. Shot in the dark!
I'll send a pm.

Georgie
Have a great weekend.

cgsheldon
30-06-2009, 7:02 AM
Couldn't find anything in Anc* WW1 so Wilf/Alf was probably well entrenched in South Africa.

Hi Georgie,

Interesting that you should mention WW1, since Alfred did allegedly go over in a troop ship to fight in France.

As for the names of his children:

Following the Boer War the Hampshires' got it in their heads that it would be a good idea to move to Rhodesia. Their first son and my great-grandfather, Wilfred George Hampshire, was born c.1903 in or near Kimberley.

In Rhodesia Alfred set up shop as a butcher on the opposite side of Victoria Falls Village and apparently became friends with Percy M. Clark, author of "Autobiography of an Old Drifter".

At least four of the Hampshire sons died in Rhodesia at a young age, including one named Harold who died of black river fever. Ultimately the Hampshires' decided to move back to Cape Town.

Their other children included Alfred Albert Victor Hampshire (born 4 Oct. 1915 - died 5 Dec. 1996); Lily Hampshire; Beatrice Hampshire; Violet Hampshire; May Hampshire; and Elaine Hampshire (who might have married and divorced Peter Floros).

Thank you for your time,
Craig