PDA

View Full Version : Wills, executors and legal stuff - Help!

carolchipp
30-04-2009, 2:52 PM
I found a mention of my g.g.grandmother in a newspaper notice re Transfer of Licences (as a widow in the 1871 census she is listed as an innkeeper)where she is described as' Martha Hull, executrix of the late Thomas Hull'.So a couple of questions for anyone who knows about these things:

Firstly - and excuse me if I'm being really thick - am I right in assuming that if she his executrix, there must have been a will? If so, how would I find it?
Secondly, does the fact that she is named here as his executrix mean that he had some connection with the licence? (otherwise, why is that mentioned, I'm wondering) ie. In 1861 Martha is a corn millers wife, in 1871 as a widow, she is an innkeeper but I don't know if she took the inn before or after Thomas died.

Also, anyone know why the licence might have been temporarily transferred. There were loads of them under the line 'At the Preston Police Court on Wednesday, the following licences were temporarily transferred...'

On the subject of wills - I always thought not that many ordinary folk left wills in the past. How common was it to make a will in the 19th century?

Carol

Geoffers
30-04-2009, 3:02 PM
Firstly - and excuse me if I'm being really thick - am I right in assuming that if she his executrix, there must have been a will? If so, how would I find it?

There is an annual index to wills - it is called the probate calendar. It can be seen at many county record offices in England/Wales. You may need to use it at a mormon church (LDS) record centre.

Secondly, does the fact that she is named here as his executrix mean that he had some connection with the licence?

Was her husband the licensee?

Also, anyone know why the licence might have been temporarily transferred.

Standard practice so that the licensed premises could continue to be used as such. A licence is granted to a named person, if he dies it needs to be transferred and a temporary transfer is granted until the full annual brewster session.

On the subject of wills - I always thought not that many ordinary folk left wills in the past. How common was it to make a will in the 19th century?

If you look at the probate calendar you will see that many more people either left wills or had admon (letters of administgration) granted than you may previosuly have thought.

carolchipp
30-04-2009, 9:39 PM
Thanks for that. At least now I know where to start looking.
Carol

carolchipp
30-04-2009, 11:24 PM
The licence was being transferred from Martha to somebody else. I'll have to check the date on the 1871 census to see if it preceeds this change.

carolchipp
01-05-2009, 9:22 PM
Hi Finbar,
The pub was the Brewers Arms, Harrington Street. I think the reason for the transfer may have been a move to another pub as I've just come across another reference to Martha where, a month earlier, the licence for the Ashcroft's Arms was transferred to her.
Carol

carolchipp
01-05-2009, 9:35 PM
Hi again Finbar,
Just found it - Thomas Hull got the licence to the Brewers Arms in August 1870. For some daft reason, I had his date of death wrong on my tree. He died in 1871.

carolchipp
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Finbar. My Thomas is the miller. I have been trying for ages to find out where the mill was, so that's brilliant.
Carol