PDA

View Full Version : Burial ground Hunslet

Brian Turnbull
28-02-2005, 2:30 AM
In the "Annals of Yorkshire", it was reported a new burial ground was opened for Hunslet at Woodhouse hill 19 June 1845. Can anyone tell me if there is an index to burials for this cemetery, and when did it close (if at all)? I am still trying to find a death/burial for my gg grandfather John Turnbull, who was still alive at 1851 census, but seemingly not in 1871 and definitely not in 1881.
He worked at potteries in the Hunslet area and some information suggests he was a manager of the Leeds Pottery.

robdurk
28-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi Brian

Hunslet Cemetery is one of the 22 still operated by Leeds City Council and is still open for burials.

The burial registers for all of the cemeteries and crematoria have been filmed and are at the Local Studies section of Leeds Public Library (0113 247 8290)

The burials for Hunslet form part of the NBI and in particular one of those parts which has been put online at family history online.net where you should be able to track your man down!

Hope that helps

Rob

Brian Turnbull
01-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info Rob. I have been looking in NBI but have not found anything, maybe I should try again. It is possible that he wasn't buried there, which will give me a big headache.I am in Australia so cannot get to the Leeds library.
Brian

robdurk
01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Brian

Sorry. Didn't grasp that you were on t'other side of t'world.

The last Vicar of Hunslet but one was a good friend; I'll get back in touch and see what he knows.

As for the index, well, I'm in Sheffield, so it's just under 40 miles away... I'm sure I can manage in the next month or so.

Have you an 1861 reference for John? I know Bradford have indexed 1861 so I suspect Leeds will have too.

The size of Yorkshire CAN give one headaches... it's not even my home ground, having moved here a mere 17 years ago...

Cheers

Rob

P.S. At the worst case scenario I need to be in Leeds in June and, in fact, within about 200 yards of Leeds Cemetery HQ. Tooth gritting is good sometimes...

jeremyf
02-03-2005, 1:03 AM
Leeds Library has name index books for Hunslet Cemetery and Beckets. The books cover Hunslet from 1845 to 1990 i.e. The opening and closing dates. I'm not sure about Beckets. Lookups are very quick and you can contact the library and, for a small fee, they will do the look up for you, although the first 20 minutes is free.

Brian Turnbull
02-03-2005, 3:25 AM
Rob, Thanks for your offer and the help you have already given. I did try NBI again, but none of what is listed is my gg grandfather.His wife and 2 of the 3 sons were in Hunslet in the 1851 census and the wife was not listed as a widow, so I am working on the assumption that he was still alive. The third son (also John) migrated to Australia in 1856 after being married in Newsatle upon Tyne.
I do not have any information for the 1861 census. In a previous post Trish advised that in the 1871 census, his wife Margaret was living with her sister in Hunslet but was not shown as a widow, although I have not seen the actual entry, I am supposing that he was not around.

Brian Turnbull
02-03-2005, 3:28 AM
Thanks for your info jermyf. I will try there and see how I go.
Brian

jeremyf
08-03-2005, 9:30 PM
I was in the library over the weekend so had a quick look in the Hunslet Index. Not many Turnbulls but this entry may, or may not be of interest.

17931 Turnbull John 64 19 Aug 1890 5064

This is in the unconsecrated book.

Jeremy

Brian Turnbull
10-03-2005, 9:21 AM
Thanks Jeremyf for the look up, but it cannot be my John Turnbull as the 1881 census showed his wife a widow. Also the 1871 census shows her living with her sister but no mention of her being widowed, but I assume she was.
Brian

jeremyf
12-03-2005, 2:35 AM
Brian,

Although unlikely, it could be possible that he may have left his wife and it is shown as widowed rather than married to avoid questions.

Brian Turnbull
13-03-2005, 9:30 AM
Thanks again jeremyf but I know he was married to his wife Margaret in 1832 in Swillington. If he died at 64 in 1890 he would have been only 6 at the time of marriage. I also am lead to believe through the family of one of his sons that he had been married before 1832 and had 2 children, his wife dying after the birth of the second child. None of these decendents seem to have any other information on him except that he came from Dumfries and was supposed to have died at age 77. This verbal information has been passed on through his wife Margaret through 4 generations to me and I cannot verify any of it.
Brian