PDA

View Full Version : Charles William Garrett born 1839 emmigrated to Canada 1887

Richard Miller
26-04-2009, 8:04 PM
Hi folks

I am trying to trace the lives of my Garrett ancestors who emigrated to Canada, and then to New Zealand with a brief spell of fighting for their country.

The last UK Census in 1881 indicates they were living in the Paddington area of London as follows.
1881 Census living at 9 Craven Terrace, Paddington
Charles W. Garrett 41 Schoolmaster
Jane S. Garrett 41
Charles W. Garrett 17 Pupil Teacher born Paddington, Middlesex
Christina J. Garrett 15 born Paddington, Middlesex
Ellen M. Garrett 12 born Paddington, Middlesex
Walter H. Garrett 11 born Paddington, Middlesex
Arthur E. Garrett 9 born Paddington, Middlesex
Fred C. Garrett 5 born Paddington, Middlesex
Lucy G. Garrett 9 months born Paddington, Middlesex.

I believe they all emigrated.

I believe they left the UK in 1887 and that according to family stories Charles William Garrett built houses, broke in 320 acres of ground, planted crops, dug wells, etc etc and his sons went off to fight in the Boar War as part of Lord Strathcona's Horse then Canadian Mounted rifles, after which some stayed in Canada and some emigrated to Australia and to New Zealand.

I would appreciate any help in being able to track down what happened in their lives after they left the UK.

Regards

Richard

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 8:57 PM
Records of the Boer War can be found for Walter Henry Garrett on this website:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/south-african-war/001002-100.01-e.php

Off I go to find more online stuff.

Adele

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 9:03 PM
Here they are on the 1891 Census of Canada (free website):

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.01-e.php?&person_id_nbr=4740327&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=jr6o3seu1ogf3gpdjv3n2d8qq4

Choose PDF or JPG to view the actual image of the census page.

Adele

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 9:39 PM
Here are some of the Garrett land grants in Canada:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/western-land-grants/001007-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=le1l0qp7ra32hu95a63o4jh5v5&q1=6&q2=14&q3=32&q4=W1&q5=&q6=&interval=20

They each have a 1/4 section of land.

Adele

Richard Miller
02-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Adele

Thank you so much for your very useful links which have helped me to locate Charles William Garrett in the 1891 Census in Assiniboia East in Saskatchewan where he and his sons received Land Grants.

This information has also steered me in the direction of the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society and the Saskatchewan Archives Board and the 1901 Census of Canada Indexing Project which has transcribed the anonymous data for this census that is available from Library and Archives Canada and is available on line on a free search basis. As yet I haven't been able to track down my Garrett relations in this but it is pretty big.

I am also unsure how I can trace possible marriages of Charles William Garrett's children in Canada.

I would also like to find a way of checking when the family all went to Canada and when they moved to Australia and New Zealand.

I would be very grateful of any further advice you may have.

Thanks again

Richard

AdeleE
05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I have finally found the Garrett family on the 1901 census of Canada:

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=111932&highlight=23

and I have suggested corrections for the surname & Charles' given name.

In looking at the image, it appears that the family immigrated in two waves: 1884 & 1887.

Wife Jane Susan Garrett died Oct 10, 1897.

Her death certificate registration can be searched, then ordered through this Saskatchewan government website:

https://www.isc.ca/VitalStatistics/Genealogy/vsgs_srch.aspx

Unfortunately, marriages are not yet indexed on this website.

I'll see what else I can find.

Adele

Richard Miller
05-05-2009, 2:43 PM
Hi Adele

Thanks again for your continued help in finding my Garrett family in the 1901 Census of Canada.

I found it interesting that Charles William senior was living with his children, none of whom had married by 1901, in or most likely near (since they were farming land) the Town of Red Jacket on highway 1 not too far from the Alberta State border. I have never been sure exactly when they all went to Canada. How did you find out that they went in 2 waves in 1884 and then in 1887?

The 1891 Census indicates that all the family were living in Assiniboia East in the sub district of Broadview. I have found a town called Broadview on Highway 1 also not too far from the Alberta border. I wondered if they have moved between 1891 and 1901 Census, but as they were farmers, its probably just the enumeration districts are different.

I note that Charles William Garrett's sons Charles William Garrett who was born in 1864, and Fred Campbell Garrett who was born in 1875, are not present with the the rest of the family. I have searched for sometime using all spelling versions of the surname Garrett and been unable to find any trace of them even using the surname "Ganett". With the link concerning Jane Susan's death I even searched for a possible entry in the register of deaths in case they had died, all to no avail.

I am pretty sure that some of the children moved to Australia and then to New Zealand. Do you know how to check passenger lists to and from Canada?

Thanks again for your help

Best wishes

Richard

Mary Anne
05-05-2009, 7:22 PM
Richard

The dates of immigration to Canada are given in the 1901 census. It looks as if sons Walter and Arthur came out first, in 1884, Charles W, Ellen, Lucy and Daisy said they came in 1887. This seems a little odd to me, though, as the boys would only have been 12 and 14 years old if their given birthdates are correct!

From the legal land descriptions associated with the land grants, you can determine the exact locations of their farms. Charles W's was SE Section 6, Township 14, Range 32, West of the 1st Meridian. Arthur had the NE corner of the same section and Walter the northwest section.

The chances are, as you have said, they or their farm didn't move but the borders of the electoral districts did. You have to keep in mind that the electoral district and the 'district' or town name may not be the same. See the Weyburn Region GenWeb for info on both Broadview and Red Jacket. They are actually in the bottom right-hand (or south east) corner of Saskatchewan, which makes them nearer Manitoba than Alberta (Province, please, not State... ;)).

Google 'Geographical Names of Canada' and you can find their lat/long information. You will find that Broadview (the town) is west of Red Jacket in Section 25-Township 16-Range 5-West of the 2nd Meridian). Red Jacket in Section 21-Township 14-Range 32- West of the 1st is much closer to where their farms were.

Let me just find the article I have found before about Land Descriptions...back soon...

Here it is --- http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/top...on_Land_Survey

Mary Anne

Mary Anne
05-05-2009, 7:48 PM
Richard

I can't seem to find any of them on the 1906 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta....

Mary Anne

AdeleE
06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
How did you find out that they went in 2 waves in 1884 and then in 1887?

On the 1901 census page at Automated Genealogy,
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=111932&highlight=23

I access the image of the original census sheet by clicking the medium image link:

District: TT ASSINIBOIA (East/Est) (#203)
Subdistrict: Red Jacket E(3) Page 1
Image: View the image with:
split screen: medium image large image
new window: medium large small MrSid

then scrolling down, right etc by using the little brown boxed arrows
or vertical position line tabs.

top(1-10) upper(10-21) middle(21-32) lower(32-43) bottom(43-50)

Column 12 on the census image is year of immigration.

Adele

AdeleE
06-05-2009, 1:06 AM
It looks as if sons Walter and Arthur came out first, in 1884, Charles W, Ellen, Lucy and Daisy said they came in 1887. This seems a little odd to me, though, as the boys would only have been 12 and 14 years old if their given birthdates are correct!

Mary Anne

Well, they did!

Here's Walter & Arthur, travelling together on the Sarmation in 1884. I think their destination is Moosomin, which is the same residence that appears on Walter's Boer War attestation papers.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/001082-119.01-e.php?&person_id_nbr=511110&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=40p104eg9b8hv1dvis3jooed50

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/001082-119.01-e.php?&person_id_nbr=511111&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=40p104eg9b8hv1dvis3jooed50

They are on lines 19 & 20 on the page.

Now I wonder who was in Moosomin waiting for them? I'll check for other Garretts arriving ahead of them.

Adele

AdeleE
06-05-2009, 1:27 AM
Now I wonder who was in Moosomin waiting for them? I'll check for other Garretts arriving ahead of them.
Adele

Until I find the rest of the Garretts on a ship to Canada in 1887, I'm guessing that oldest brother Charles, born c1865, came first.

Here's two possibilities:

Image reads C Garrett, arriving May 1884
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/001082-119.01-e.php?&person_id_nbr=502154&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=bg671j6qttq45jtp68a8ghh5e4

or this C Garrett, arriving Nov 1882
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/001082-119.01-e.php?&person_id_nbr=957259&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=vrdmvj7bcpo3g7a8i418slrv91

Adele

Mary Anne
07-05-2009, 2:01 AM
Brilliant, Adele, that must be them. Moosomin is near Red Jacket and Broadview

Mary Anne

jaliwitch
07-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Hello Richard, this is Jali, your cousin many times removed in New Zealand, as, I have already told you, and sent you the information about my family, you will not find most of my family on the 1906 census, because they had moved. I thought you understood the information on my Tribalpages site???? Did this not help answer these questions???
It would be interesting to talk to you some time on MSN

Richard Miller
07-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Adele and Mary Ann

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the passenger lists and census records. Apologies for my poor sense of direction I meant to say that the family were near the Saskatchewan Manitoba border and not Alberta. Also apologies for calling the provinces States!!

Hi Jali

Nice to see you have made onto B G Forums. I think that you will find that the people using this site are very friendly and extremely helpful with your research. I have sent you a private message through B G Forums.

Best wishes to you all

Richard

Mary Anne
07-05-2009, 2:16 PM
Richard

You are most welcome! Glad to have been of help.

Oh, and don't worry about the province/state thing - just we Canucks get a bit touchy from time to time, in case the elephant rolls over ;)

In any case, my geographic sense is no prize - I had to check the map to be sure, even though I have lived in Alberta and travelled all over the Prairie provinces! :D

Mary Anne