PDA

View Full Version : Deane/Plumridge Fingest Buckinghamshire

sweetpea
26-04-2009, 5:13 PM
I'm trying to find out the father of Elizabeth Ann Plumridge who married Edmund Deane in Fingest April 3 1899. They had 2 sons Edward and William. I beleive her mother was also called Elizabeth but on the wedding certificate the Fathers name was left blank. Could she have been illegitimate? In the 1911 census her mother is with her in the name of Elizabeth Menday and I have found information and a new family in that name. Any info would be appreciated|wave||wave|

emeltee
26-04-2009, 5:28 PM
Hi,
You don't give an age or birthplace for Elizabeth so the following info is probably wrong. However the only Elizabeth, with a mother Elizabeth, that I could find in 1891 was living in Bermondsey

24 Russell Scott Buildings, Bermondsey, London

William Plumridge 41 Decorator
Elizabeth 40
George 18
Elizabeth 12
Arthur 9
Ada 7
Albert 4
Walter 1
All born in London

Hope these do turn out to be yours
Emeltee

janbooth
27-04-2009, 3:13 PM
Interesting!! According to the 1901 census record your Elizabeth Ann was born Cadmore End, Bucks c1870 which is very close to Fingest. Looking on the 1871 census records, there only appear to be 2 Elizabeths that fit. One is shown as Elizabeth PLUMRIDGE born c1869 at Cadmore End, living at Lewknor Uphill, Oxfordshire with father Samuel, mother Mary and siblings (RG10/1406, folio 3, page 3) and the other is shown as an Ann Elizabeth PLUMRIDGE born c1869 at Fingest and is in the Wycombe District Workhouse at Saunderton (RG10/1409, folio 171, no page no shown.

I can't find your Elizabeth Ann with any certainty prior to her marriage to Edmund DEANE in 1899. Elizabeth MENDAY's age on the 1911 census puts her dob c1848 and there is this Elizabeth PLUMRIDGE in the 1861 census of Fingest:

RG9/858, folio 125, page 9
Cadmore End

William PLUMRIDGE Head Mar 46 Sawyer Bucks Fingest
Elizabeth do Wife Mar 46 Lace Maker do do
Edmund do Son Un 19 Sawyer do do
Elizabeth do Daur Un 11 Scholar do do
Hannah do Daur 9 do do do
James do Son 7 do do do
Mary do Daur 5 do do do
Sarah do Daur 3 do ?
Lydia do Grand daur 4 Scholar do Fingest

William & Elizabeth are still at Cadmore End in the 1871 census but no sign of daughter Elizabeth. But there is this Elizabeth in the 1871 census of Chipping Wycombe:

RG10/1404, folio 44, page 23
4 Hobbs Lane

John MENDY Head Mar 21 Chair Maker Wycombe Bucks
Elizabeth do Wife Mar 23 Lace Maker Fingest do
Ann do Daur 1 do do
Elizabeth do Mother Widow 65 Lace Maker Kensington Middlesex

The marriage registration appears to be in the December qtr 1870 at Wycombe reg district, vol 3a, page 710 (John MENDAY and one of the other names is an Elizabeth PLUMRIDGE). Could the Ann in the 1871 census be Elizabeth Ann because in the 1881 census of Chipping Wycombe still at 4 Hobbs Lane is the MENDY family but with an 11 year old Elizabeth and no 11 year old Ann - perhaps there were just too many Elizabeths in the 1871 household!!

John is in the 1861 census of Chipping Wycombe with widowed mother Elizabeth and siblings Mary, Samuel & Thomas (RG9/857, folio 36, page 18 enumerated as MONDAY).

None of which explains who is your Elizabeth Ann's father - it could perhaps be John MENDAY as they were married pretty soon after her birth but I think your best course is to look at the Fingest parish registers for that period and see if there is anything on her baptismal record which may give you a clue.

HTH

Janet

sweetpea
28-04-2009, 5:38 PM
Thanks for your info Elemtee but it is the wrong one

sweetpea
28-04-2009, 5:56 PM
Hi Janet

Thanks for taking the time to give me all the info. I have ordered a copy of a marriage certificate for Plumridge and Wise that I also found as I remember my mother talking about Granny Wise.

I am going to join the Buckinghamshire FHS as it looks like the will look into the Parish registers for a small fee.

Thanks again

Teresa

vita 1956
11-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm trying to find out the father of Elizabeth Ann Plumridge who married Edmund Deane in Fingest April 3 1899. They had 2 sons Edward and William. I beleive her mother was also called Elizabeth but on the wedding certificate the Fathers name was left blank. Could she have been illegitimate? In the 1911 census her mother is with her in the name of Elizabeth Menday and I have found information and a new family in that name. Any info would be appreciated|wave||wave|

Hello
By now you may have the answer, I am new on this site, so have only just read your message.
I have some parish records and looked up for you.
at St Mary-Le-Moor church, Cadmore End, Buckinghamshire.
Baptism
Elizabeth Ann Plumridge,
the full date is missing, but the year is 1869, she is baseborn (illegitimate) to mother Elizabeth Plumridge, a domestic servant of Cadmore End.
She also had a sister Rosanna baptised 10 Jan 1860 church as above.
Have not been able to trace them on census untill Elizabeth turns up as live in Nurse (domestic servant) in Upper Long Ditton, Kingston, Surrey.

I hope this helps, regards Vita.

sweetpea
15-01-2010, 5:58 PM
Thanks for the info. The Elizabeth is the correct one but I think the later Elizabeth in Surry is incorrect. There are a few Elizabeth Plumridges but cannot find one with a sister Rrosanna. I need to find out a bit more about about the entry for the Workhouse in Saunderton if I can.