PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Elias Kelly. please

Ron K
26-04-2009, 3:51 PM
Hello
I have in my tree, Elias Kelly born c1838 in Pnennsylvania, USA. He had a son called William Kelly born c1863 also in Pennsylvania. I seem to have got stuck on Elias and wondered if anybody could shed some light on who he married? and did thay have any other children? Who was his father? I do know he was a farmer and a large land owner in Pennsylvania. Can anybody help me please?

Ron K
26-04-2009, 4:22 PM
Finbar that sounds like the right one. Thank you vary much for looking for me. Maybe now i have a little more to go on i might be able to get further back on this line.
Thank you

Ron K
26-04-2009, 4:53 PM
Hello Finbar
Thank you for that. I'll have to try and find out if the name was July Ann Kelly or Julian Kelly.

I have just been told that Elias Kelly's father was a man called George Kelly born c1802 also in Pennsylvania. I have not had the chance to confirm that yet though.

Must say this seems like a good site to be on.

Ron K
26-04-2009, 9:57 PM
Hello Finbar. Thats great stuff. Thank you for looking it up for me. I understand the caution and will try to get this confirmed somehow.

It's good of you to take the time to find this out for me though. Thank you.

Ron :-)

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 10:02 PM
There is this 1850 census listing:

1850 US Census
South Huntingdon, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania

George Kelly 48, farmer value of real estate $3,900
Rebecca Kelly48
Jane Kelly 18
Samuel J Kelly 16
Elias Kelly 14
Israel Kelly 12
Sarah Anne Kelly 10
Daniel J Kelly 8
All born Pennsylvania

which is conveniently in the same area as the 1880 census listing, but doesn't prove anything in and of itself.
There are 3 other Kelly families on the page including George Sr. age 73

Adele

Ron K
26-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello EdeleE
This could be the right one as i recall someone saying something about Elias had a brother called Samuel J, and the two of them was always together. I was getting some storys off my dad until lately. He is ill now and can't remember much.

Any chance of letting me know of the other familys like Goerge's?

Thank you for your help it's very kind of you.

Ron

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 10:14 PM
1870 US census

Elias Kelley 36, farmer, value of real estate $3,150
Julian Kelley 28
Lafayette Kelley 10
William Kelley 8
Maggie Kelley 5
Florence Kelley 1
All born Pennsylvania

Other farmers on the page have real estate valued at $10,000 and $26,300

Adele

Ron K
26-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Edele thank you.
you make this look easy. I have been trying to find this info for ages. Mind you i guess if you know what your doing and where to look it is. :)

Thank you for your kind help.

Ron.

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Ok, here's the family in the 1860 census:

George Kelley 58, farmer, value of real estate $3,000
Rebecca Kelley 58, b. New York
Samuel Kelley 26
Elias Kelley 24
Israel Kelley 22
Sarah A Kelley 20
Daniel S Kelley 18
Except for Rebecca, all born Pennsylvania

Adele

Ron K
26-04-2009, 10:36 PM
This is good. thank you.

How might i find the maiden name of Rebecca? My guess is i would need to get a certificate of some kind from someplace. But i would have thought in order for me to that i would i need to know her maiden name anyway. Sorry if i seem a little dull but not been doing this long.

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 11:32 PM
You're not dull, and this isn't dull either. A marriage for George Kelly & Rebecca would have taken place probably prior to 1832, base on ages of children on the 1850 census. As George & Rebecca were 48 years old in 1850, the marriage could have taken place as early as 1820.
I'm not an expert on vital records in the US, nor how they are preserved.
There's this excellent website, which does have a "contact us" button.

http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/

Adele

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Here's Elias' family in the 1900 census. Elias has died.
Hempfield Township, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania

Juliann Kelley, head, widowed, b Mar 1844, age 56, (9 children born, 7 still alive)
M J Kelley, son, widowed, b, Dec 1870, age 29, laborer
C E Kelley, son, single, b. Aug 1884, age 15, laborer
Rosanna Kelley, dau, single, b. Mar 1882, age 18
J Miller Kelley, grandson, b Apr 1895, 5
All born Pennsylvania
+ 2 boarders living with them
Wm Albright 18
Robt Bethany 36

Adele

AdeleE
26-04-2009, 11:52 PM
A submitted IGI entry gives very basic details of a marriage in 1831. See post #6 above.

The lack of a date for the marriage & a maiden name for Rebecca leads me to believe that this submitted IGI information or family group sheet may be relying on data from the 1850 US census. (Oldest child on census b 1832)

Unfortunately, I think census records prior to 1850 are head of household only. Off to check now.

Adele

Ron K
27-04-2009, 1:09 AM
Sorry for not replying earlyer. I had to go and deal with an accident.

Thank you for the infomation you have given to me. I will try to research this the best i can. You have been very helpful and i thank you kindly for that. It's now 02:14 in the morning here so i best go to bed now. I'll check in again when i get home from work.

Thank you again.

All my best to you
Ron.

Ron K
27-04-2009, 8:59 AM
Hello All
Just to let you know, If you think you may be able to help me any further i'll be in and out of here all day checking. i have found this site very helpful so far, and would like to thank the people that have been kind enough to help me get this far. Thank you. It does mean a lot to me.

It does seem the George Kelly you named is the correct one thank you.

Ron K
04-05-2009, 4:34 PM
Hi i will be in and out of hear often each day. Just thought i would let you know. Any other help would be great, even any hints and tips on how i might get back further if thats possable.
It's looking more and more like this is the right line of the Kelly clang in USA. Thank you.
Ron K :)