PDA

View Full Version : Addresses on gravestones

Jan1954
26-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Just outside of Newcastleton, in the Borders Region of Scotland, is a graveyard but with no church/kirk to be seen close by.

It is very well tended and, although I have no Scottish ancestry, whenever I have been up there, I have taken a wander round.
I like graveyards. :)

However, on most of the MIs, it also lists the last known address of the deceased - in full. So, for example, it might say, "Joe McTavish of 4 High Street, Newcastleton".

I have not seen this on any English MIs, so is it a Scottish peculiarity or just local to Newcastleton?

Thanks,

Browneyes
26-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Graveyards are interesting. If anyone is in Paris I highly recommend the Père Lachaise Cemetery - essentials required are plenty of time and a camera!

I haven't seen any English MIs with addresses on as far as I know but it's something I'll look out for now. Were they from a particular era?

Jan1954
26-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Were they from a particular era? From memory, I think that they were from the late 19th/early - mid 20th century.

Sue Mackay
26-04-2009, 2:01 PM
Just outside of Newcastleton, in the Borders Region of Scotland, is a graveyard but with no church/kirk to be seen close by.

Don't know about addresses, but burial grounds in Scotland were often associated with families or farms rather than with a particular church. My husband's ancestors are buried in a burial ground on the side of a mountain overlooking a loch in Sutherland, a good two mile hike from the nearest road, yet all the graves have headstones. I wouldn't have fancied getting the coffins up there, let alone the headstones! Still, the exercise did me good reaching the grave, and the sheep keep it from getting too overgrown!

MarkJ
26-04-2009, 2:11 PM
There are several headstones in mid Cornwall which give house names or farm names. I haven't seen a full address, giving the house number for example, but the ones giving a house name are very specific and the house still stands and is called the same even today.

Must admit to finding gravestones most interesting! As well as the stones themselves, their location - both within the churchyard/cemetery and the surrounding stones often gives further clues - close by stones are often related families ;)

Mark

Jan1954
26-04-2009, 2:16 PM
Must admit to finding gravestones most interesting! As well as the stones themselves, their location - both within the churchyard/cemetery and the surrounding stones often gives further clues - close by stones are often related families ;)

MarkIn Theberton, Suffolk, where my Baileys hail from, all the gravestones are together for the family - or pretty close, as they span a hundred years or so. My several great has the one closest to the church door, which I have always undertood to be one of the most important places for a grave - reflected his standing in the community.

Elwyn Soutter
27-04-2009, 6:47 PM
In my experience, addresses on gravestones are quite common in the Hebrides and in Shetland. (Helpfully they also often record the wife using her maiden name. eg "Mary McNeil wife of Lachlan MacDonald of 5 Eriskay, Barra").

So I'd say it was not unique to Newcastleton.

Elwyn

Jan1954
27-04-2009, 6:52 PM
Thank you, Elwyn - very useful to know.

I have not been as far north as the Hebrides and Shetland but will make a point of scouring other graveyards the next time that I am in Scotland.

Thanks again,

MythicalMarian
27-04-2009, 7:16 PM
What a lovely find. Now, if only all our ancestors were as considerate to we researchers as the Scots. :)