PDA

View Full Version : Dennis - Beeston Regis

Sue R
11-10-2004, 2:13 PM
Am still looking for all DENNIS folk born Beeston Regis. Geoffers gave me 1851 census info a while back which had two Doyle Dennis names on it - Doyle, Doiley, Doyley seems to be a family name that went down the generations, but I can't yet link it definitely with my John Dennis b 1821.

Would there be an 1841 (or earlier) census?

And how do I find John Dennis b Beeston Regis 1921 birth info?

Geoffers
11-10-2004, 6:25 PM
[Am still looking for all DENNIS folk born Beeston Regis.Would there be an 1841 (or earlier) census?]

The earliest census required to include personal data was in 1841. It only records, Name, age (for those aged 15 or more, it was almost always rounded down to the nearest 5 years), occupation, and whether born in the county or not).

There was only one DENNIS family that I could locate in Beeston in 1841:

HO107/761/07 f5 p33
Beeston Regis
Doily DENNIS, 50, shepherd
Elizabeth DENNIS, 50
Doily DENNIS, 15, fishmonger
Elizabeth DENNIS, 15
James DENNIS, 10
Rober DENNIS, 10
John DENNIS, 5

all the above born in Norfolk

The original census is in the care of the National Archives

[And how do I find John Dennis b Beeston Regis 1921 birth info?]

Do you mean 1921 or 1821? If 1821, then you will need to refer to the Parish Registers. This will not give the birthdate but rather the date of baptism, during the 19th century there was an increasing tendency to baptise children sometime after birth and often in a job lot, so you may have to search for several years after 1821 - as Beeston Regis was a small aprish this shouldn't take too long.

The parish registers have mostly been copied onto microfilm and these may be hired and viewed at mormon church (LDS) centres.

Geoffers

Charlbury, OxfordshiFP>
all the above born in Norfolk

The original census is in the care of the National Archives

[And how do I find John Dennis b Beeston Regis 1921 birth info?]

Do you mean 1921 or 1821? If 1821, then you will need to refer to the Parish Registers. This will not give the birthdate but rather the date of baptism, during the 19th century there was an increasing tendency to baptise children sometime after birth and often in a job lot, so you may have to search for several years after 1821 - as Beeston Regis was a small aprish this shouldn't take too long.

The parish registers have mostly been copied onto microfilm and these may be hired and viewed at mormon church (LDS) centres.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Sue R
15-10-2004, 6:24 AM
Yes, it was 1821 for John Dennis' birth.
Thanks very much for assistance once again.
I have decided some of the DENNIS family were living elsewhere in Norfolk in 1841 & 1851 - there were 3 grandsons with the Beeston Regis folk in the 1841 whose parents don't show up at all, and then (just when I thought the parents must be dead or otherwise incapacitated) there's an extra younger one appearing with them in Beeston Regis in 1851.
My line ended up in Stow Bedon in 1860s-1880s so I probably need to look there back in 1841 and 1851. How do I do that?

Geoffers
15-10-2004, 8:09 AM
I have decided some of the DENNIS family were living elsewhere in Norfolk in 1841 & 1851 - there were 3 grandsons with the Beeston Regis folk in the 1841 whose parents don't show up at all, and then (just when I thought the parents must be dead or otherwise incapacitated) there's an extra younger one appearing with them in Beeston Regis in 1851.
My line ended up in Stow Bedon in 1860s-1880s so I probably need to look there back in 1841 and 1851. How do I do that?
The 1841 census for Norfolk has just been released by Archive CDBooks, this is the original census and not indexed by name. The 1851 census for Norfolk, Warwickshire and Devon has been transcribed by the FFHS and released on CD-rom by the mormons, it is readily available from many places in the UK, presumably there are genealogical suppliers in other countries who also sell it. The 1851 CD-rom is dirt cheap and hints about it making an excellent present should be made to relatives.

Judging by the age of he grandsons of Doyle, your couple may have married prior to 1837. Anotehr good present would be the Norfolk Marriage Index CD available from the NFHS. However, note that the three youngest ar grandsons, there is nothing to say they they all had the same parents.

I searched the 1851 census for John Dennis (I think that wasthe name you mentioned as the father) born in Norfolk, the following is the list of hits from the index

SURNAME, Forename, relatioship, Born, Birthplace, Census Place

DENNIS, Edward John Son <1843> Walpole St Peter-NFK Walpole St Peter
DENNIS, John Head <1794> Cawston-NFK Cawston
Judging by the age of he grandsons of Doyle, your couple may have married prior to 1837. Anotehr good present would be the Norfolk Marriage Index CD available from the NFHS. However, note that the three youngest ar grandsons, there is nothing to say they they all had the same parents.

I searched the 1851 census for John Dennis (I think that wasthe name you mentioned as the father) born in Norfolk, the following is the list of hits from the index

SURNAME, Forename, relatioship, Born, Birthplace, Census Place

<FONT face="Abadi MT Condensed Light" size=1>DENNIS, Edward John Son <1843> Walpole St Peter-NFK Walpole St Peter
DENNIS, John Head <1794> Cawston-NFK Cawston
DENNIS, John Head <1805> Downham-Nfk Downham Market
DENNIS, John Head <1806> Gt Ryburgh-Nfk Great Ryburgh
DENNIS, John Head <1819> Fakenham-Nfk Fakenham
DENNIS, John Sldr <1825> Falminghay-NFK Stoke Damerel
DENNIS, John Son <1835> Gt Ryburgh-Nfk Great Ryburgh
DENNIS, John Son <1846> Overstrand-NFK Overstrand
DENNIS, John Lodg <1789> E Barsham-Norfolk Norwich St Clement
DENNIS, John Head <1801> Wood Dalling-Norfolk Aylsham
DENNIS, John Son <1811> Lynn-Norfolk South Lynn All StsDENNIS, John Head <1805> Downham-Nfk Downham Market
DENNIS, John Head <1806> Gt Ryburgh-Nfk Great Ryburgh
DENNIS, John Head <1819> Fakenham-Nfk Fakenham
DENNIS, John Sldr <1825> Falminghay-NFK Stoke Damerel
DENNIS, John Son <1835> Gt Ryburgh-Nfk Great Ryburgh
DENNIS, John Son <1846> Overstrand-NFK Overstrand
DENNIS, John Lodg <1789> E Barsham-Norfolk Norwich St Clement
DENNIS, John Head <1801> Wood Dalling-Norfolk Aylsham
DENNIS, John Son <1811> Lynn-Norfolk South Lynn All Sts
DENNIS, John Head <1816> Hoe-Norfolk East Dereham
DENNIS, John Head <1821> Beeston-Norfolk Kettlestone
DENNIS, John GSon <1836> Beeston Regis-Norfolk Beeston Regis
DENNIS, John Son <1840> Aylsham-Norfolk Aylsham
DENNIS, John Son <1850> Gresham-Norfolk Gresham
DENNIS, John Son <1850> Stanhoe-Norfolk Kings Lynn St Margaret

<FONT face="Book Antiqua"> You'll see there is a John Dennis born 1821, there are two problems with this entry, 1) he isn't married (but then perhaps the grandchildren of Doyly were this John's children and illegitimate?), scond the birE
DENNIS, John Head <1816> Hoe-Norfolk East Dereham
DENNIS, John Head <1821> Beeston-Norfolk Kettlestone
DENNIS, John GSon <1836> Beeston Regis-Norfolk Beeston Regis
DENNIS, John Son <1840> Aylsham-Norfolk Aylsham
DENNIS, John Son <1850> Gresham-Norfolk Gresham
DENNIS, John Son <1850> Stanhoe-Norfolk Kings Lynn St Margaret

You'll see there is a John Dennis born 1821, there are two problems with this entry, 1) he isn't married (but then perhaps the grandchildren of Doyly were this John's children and illegitimate?), scond the birthplace is just Beeston, it doesn't say which of the 4 Norolk Beestons this is.

HO107/1826 f255 p12
Kettlestone
John DENNIS, Head, Unm, 30, Agl Bailiff, Beeston
Rebecca ABBS, Hskp, Unm, 23, Housekeeper, Brinton
Joseph BLYTH, ALab, Mar, 34, Agl Lab, Beeston

I don't know if I previously sent you the following details, but the name Doyle is unusual and so there may well be a connection.

HO107/180thplace is just Beeston, it doesn't say which of the 4 Norolk Beestons this is.

HO107/1826 f255 p12
Kettlestone
John DENNIS, Head, Unm, 30, Agl Bailiff, Beeston
Rebecca ABBS, Hskp, Unm, 23, Housekeeper, Brinton
Joseph BLYTH, ALab, Mar, 34, Agl Lab, Beeston

I don't know if I previously sent you the following details, but the name Doyle is unusual and so there may well be a connection.

HO107/1809 f577 p47
Beeston Regis
Doyle DENNIS, Head, Mar, 25, Ag Lab, Beeston Regis
Harriot DENNIS, Wife, Mar, 30, Sheringham
Mary DENNIS, Daur, , 4, Beeston Regis
Doyle DENNIS, Son, , 2, Beeston Regis
Loads DENNIS, Son, , 1, Beeston Regis
Margaret BROUGHTON, Nurs, 28, Nurse, Beeston Regis

I wouldn't assume that because the family later turn up around Stow Bedon, that they perviously lived there. In the 1851 census, there are none born in Stow, the Rocklands, Breckles, or Thompson. There is one born9 f577 p47
Beeston Regis
Doyle DENNIS, Head, Mar, 25, Ag Lab, Beeston Regis
Harriot DENNIS, Wife, Mar, 30, Sheringham
Mary DENNIS, Daur, , 4, Beeston Regis
Doyle DENNIS, Son, , 2, Beeston Regis
Loads DENNIS, Son, , 1, Beeston Regis
Margaret BROUGHTON, Nurs, 28, Nurse, Beeston Regis

I wouldn't assume that because the family later turn up around Stow Bedon, that they perviously lived there. In the 1851 census, there are none born in Stow, the Rocklands, Breckles, or Thompson. There is one born Caston, but she is a wife and so not born a Dennis.

Anything else I can help with?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Stephanie W
11-04-2005, 1:23 PM
Sue R. I came across your query quite by chance via a search engine when searching for some information about Beeston Regis church for a customer (I'm a librarian). I have some information about the Dennis family - Beeston Regis - Stow Bedon. About 20 years ago one of my cousins gathered some information together about our mothers' side of the family from memories and written sources and this is what we have. You may be able to help us fill some gaps or make some corrections, and some of this may explain for you the movement of some parts of the family.
John Stokes Dennis was born 21 May 1820 in Beeston Regis married Mary Ann Lambert from Witton near North Walsham. Before their marriage Mary Ann had gone to live in Great Yarmouth to give birth to their first son. He was born 26 July 1866 at Row 74 Yarmouth which is now demolished and under the Royal Arcade in the centre of town. He was originally registered as John Henry Dennis Lambert. John Stokes and Mary Ann married on 3 October 1866 in Yarmouth and then moved to Mere Farm, Stow Bedon where they had the following children - Edith Mary 1869, Martha Ann 1870, Rosa May 1873, Kate Violet 1874, Robert Doiley 1876, Florence Ellen 1877 and William 1881/2?
Of these children, John Henry married Louisa Drake of Hockham and had 4 children - Charles ( we have no further trace after baptism) Hilda (most of us knew well) married Harold Suker and lived in Hastings a lot of her life. Gladys (our Grandmother) married Basil Oscar Sturman from Watton and had 6 children, my mother Audrey being the second. Reg, the fourth child, died in infancy.
Edith married Charlie Drake from Hockham, brother of Louisa Drake.
Martha Ann had 3 husbands and later moved to Catfileld to live with Robert Doiley and his wife.
Rosa May and Kate Violet were not married as far as we know.
Robert Doiley married Mini Cawley and later lived at Catfield and Hickling. They had no children.
Florence Ellen married ? Cooke, first name unknown.
William had more than one wife and was a policeman in Downham Market. This is the person we think may be your grandfather? My mother Audrey can remember staying with a William and Gertie in Downham when she was a child in the late 20s. She can remember a boy called Ronnie and 2 girls, but can't remember their names.
We suspect that there was limited contact between some parts of the family because John Henry Dennis being illegitimate was disinherited when his parents died. He was probably a little upset having worked the farm all his life until then and didn't want much else to do with them! He and his family all relocated to King's Lynn around 1922/23.
As your original query was posted some time ago now, I hope you see this.
Stephanie W

Sue R
12-04-2005, 1:43 PM
Stephanie

I have tried to post a reply but it cuts out before 30 seconds and won't send. Its pretty long.
Can you let me have your email address?

Regards

Sue Rowe