PDA

View Full Version : Help needed finding a flight list

Ron K
23-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi can anybody help with this...
I see many list's for people travling from USA to England by ships. What i need to know is...
How would i find a list of a flight made in 1963 from USA to England? I'm trying to find a date of a family member entering England. I don't have much family left to ask and the ones i have asked say they don't know. I know it was between late Febuary and late June.

The Twist to this is that according to the info given to me is that there was 4 children on the one passport, all under the age of 5 years old. The father did not know they had gone untill he came home from work. The mother said she brought them here, But according to a photo copy of the part of the passport the mother was already in England.

The American Embassy say they have info going back to 1983 not 1963.

So i have hit a brick wall unless any kind people here can help me. |help|

Geoffers
24-04-2009, 7:48 AM
The father did not know they had gone untill he came home from work.

If there was some form of family dispute, could there be a court case which narrows down the date of emigration.

If you know the carrier, and that carrier is still in business they may possibly retain the information, but would be under no obligation to release it to you.

I know it was between late Febuary and late June.

This may well be as narrow a period as you can reach practically.

Neil Wilson
24-04-2009, 6:22 PM
Seeing that the date is before computerised flight records, 9/11 etc, the flight manifests, if kept would fill a warehouse for each year/airline. They were on flimsy carbonate paper (1 copy for departing airfield, destination, immigration, customs, and spares in case of divertion), a lot of time they were just shredded.
Wish you luck with this one.

Ron K
24-04-2009, 9:42 PM
The Airline was Pan-Am not around anymore. I need to know the date of entry into the UK, though i can't say why on here. Any help would be greatfuly received.

Ron K
28-04-2009, 3:05 PM
I still have had no luck with this. I can't put details of the person on the boards but if you think you might be able to help me with this, please PM me. I really do need this infomation.

Thank you

Ron.

Elwyn Soutter
28-04-2009, 7:09 PM
I worked at Gatwick Airport in the 1970s. My recollection of flight manifests was that they did not contain passengers names. They had information about the aeroplane (flight no, registration, airport of embarkation etc), total number of passengers, crew, cargo details and any health declarations, and that was about it. A copy was handed to Customs, another to immigration, and one was usually kept by the airline. They had no long term value and were thrown out at the end of each season, if not before (space was always at a premium in airports). I would be astonished if any survived from the 1960s and even then they won't tell you who was on board.

I'd be surprised if there are any useful surviving UK immigration records for Americans entering in 1963. Even if there were I don't know whether they'd disclose them. Records would be held by the UK Border Agency. (I think that in the 1960s children under 16 on a foreign passport, were often admitted to the UK without formality and no record kept of their arrival, other than a date stamp in the passport.So if you haven't got the passport the children travelled on, there may not be any other formal record of the date they came).

Usually when someone comes to live in the UK permanently they register with a doctor soon after arrival. Medical records (assuming they survive) might therefore help. Even if they don't have a date of arrival, you can at least infer info from them. If the person got an NHS number in March 1963 for example, that would help pin down the date. But obviously the person whose record you are interested in would need to give their consent.

Elwyn

Ron K
03-05-2009, 6:07 PM
Thank you Elwyn.
I guess i don't stand much chance of finding out the date they came here then. Thats a real big pitty as it would be a big bit of a very big puzzle solved.

If anybody out there can think of any way i might find out, Please let me know. I would so much like to know when when they come here. You can PM me if you like.

Thank you.
Ron.

Ron K
04-05-2009, 4:36 PM
Just keeping you updated.
I have not found much as yet but i'll keep trying.
Thank you.