PDA

View Full Version : Problems accessing the IGI

carolp
23-04-2009, 3:44 PM
HI,

Is anyone else experiencing the same as me, when trying to access this page, the wording comes up as "oops this is a broken link". Can anyone help me please.

Many thanks.

Carol

MarkJ
23-04-2009, 4:01 PM
What link are you using Carol?

Try clicking here (http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true) and it should take you to the IGI search page. It is working fine for me.

Mark

Mutley
23-04-2009, 4:15 PM
And I am using this link which is also working fine for me ;)

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

samgibbons56
23-04-2009, 4:26 PM
HI,

Is anyone else experiencing the same as me, when trying to access this page, the wording comes up as "oops this is a broken link". Can anyone help me please.

Many thanks.

Carol
So am I, have tried both links as well as "googling" no joy.
Normally don't have any problems must be a glitch.
It's been like it all day, thought it was me though!!
Sam

carolp
23-04-2009, 4:30 PM
What link are you using Carol?

Try clicking here (http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true) and it should take you to the IGI search page. It is working fine for me.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I tried clinking on your link, but I am still getting the same message!! Help.

Regards,

Carol

Jan1954
23-04-2009, 5:45 PM
Hi Mark,

I tried clinking on your link, but I am still getting the same message!! Help.

Regards,

Carol
Ummmmm - it is working okay for me.....

(No, it is not the power of being a Super Moderator either, before you ask! :D )

MarkJ
23-04-2009, 6:05 PM
Sounds like a routing issue to me. Are you in the UK Carol?
Sam is in France - so just wondering if there is a routing issue or similar in Northern Europe or something?

I *could* ask you to run some tests which we could use to diagnose the problem, but it won't actually solve things if it is a routing type problem. It should sort itself out eventually.

It may be worth clearing your browser cache - just in case the issue has already been fixed and you are getting the cached error message.

Mark

carolp
23-04-2009, 7:01 PM
Sounds like a routing issue to me. Are you in the UK Carol?
Sam is in France - so just wondering if there is a routing issue or similar in Northern Europe or something?

I *could* ask you to run some tests which we could use to diagnose the problem, but it won't actually solve things if it is a routing type problem. It should sort itself out eventually.

It may be worth clearing your browser cache - just in case the issue has already been fixed and you are getting the cached error message.

Mark

Thanks for coming back to me, I am in the UK, Surrey. I would be grateful if you could get whoever to run some tests, as I have tried rebooting, and clearing my browser cache, and the problem still exists! I have never had this problem before, mind you when I was trying to access the page, a very strange message came up, which indicated that I could send a message to a webmaster at the familysearch, but when I tried that, the message rebounded. So if there is any other help you know of, I would be grsteful for it.

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Carol

MarkJ
23-04-2009, 7:20 PM
As it sounds like a DNS type issue, we could try a simple test involving the "ping" command.

I don't use Windows, but from memory, go to the Start button and select "Run" from the menu.
IN the Run box, type CMD

In the command prompt terminal you should now be looking at, type

ping familysearch.org

and press the Enter key on your keyboard.

That should send 5 lots of data to the familysearch.org servers for you. All 5 should give you a response mentioning the time taken (in milliseconds).
If you get a "request timed out" type message, try the next step -

Still at the command prompt, type in

ping 204.9.225.200

and press the enter key as before.

Does that work?
If the one with familysearch.org fails, but the one with the IP address (the string of numbers seperated by dots) works, then the problem lies with what is called DNS - which is the way computers convert the usual something.com type addresses into the IP addresses which they use.

To be honest, the issue will probably lie outside your computer - and it is unlikely you can do much to sort it. The majority of these problems resolve themselves - sometimes they take a day or so to get back to normal.

We could run through various network checking things - traceroute, netstat etc - but they will almost certainly just confirm that there is a problem outside your control.

Mark

Mark

Mutley
23-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Carol, have you tried the Hugh Wallis entry into the IGI

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

A sort of back door. ;)

You could also try googling for Familysearch.org and trying the links given from there.

carolp
23-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Carol, have you tried the Hugh Wallis entry into the IGI

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

A sort of back door. ;)

You could also try googling for Familysearch.org and trying the links given from there.

I tried this course of action and the page was now "not available"!! any more ideas?!!
Carol

Peter Goodey
24-04-2009, 6:48 AM
I would advise you to do what Mark suggested.

jannic
24-04-2009, 7:45 AM
hi,

The family search site has not been available for me in South Wales since last evening and still not working now. I also suspect a "broken link" in the www and am patiently waiting for it to reroute itself or whatever!

Jan|computer|

Sue Mackay
24-04-2009, 7:48 AM
hi,

The family search site has not been available for me in South Wales since last evening and still not working now. I also suspect a "broken link" in the www and am patiently waiting for it to reroute itself or whatever!

Jan|computer|

It's working fine for me in South Wales!

samgibbons56
24-04-2009, 5:27 PM
Hi all,
The familysearch site seems to be working for me now, although it's been off all day. Just tried it and all fine.
Regards
Sam

jannic
25-04-2009, 9:19 AM
Same here, how strange!
Jan:confused: