PDA

View Full Version : Parrish Records - general

Lily
27-02-2005, 1:52 PM
I am starting to get stuck in my research. Having tracked a part of the family to Nottingham in 1834 (a marriage). Where do I go next the parrish records do not reveal his fathers name, so Im stuck!

Rod Neep
27-02-2005, 2:22 PM
Pre-1837 marriage records don't show fathers' names. (except in very rare cases). For more details of what is shown in parish registers at different periods, see the general information pages here on British-Genealogy.com.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/

But to be specific with your problem.
1. where did you get your marriage information from?
2. Give me the names of the couple and the date of the marriage, and the parish where they were married.

All is far from being a brick wall for you. I am sure we can help.

Regards
Rod

Lily
27-02-2005, 3:18 PM
Thomas Gurdon married Harriet Loder 22 September 1834 in Boughton. A kind soul on the forum confirmed the parrish details for me, as did Nottinghamshire Records Office.

Geoffers
27-02-2005, 3:44 PM
I am starting to get stuck in my research. Having tracked a part of the family to Nottingham in 1834 (a marriage). Where do I go next the parrish records do not reveal his fathers name, so Im stuck!
In addition to what Rod has written; it is a case of using more than one source of record to find out the information you need.

Your couple married in 1834 and presumably had children - have you checked the 1851 census yet? This would be a good place to begin as the 1851 census records place of birth (the 1841 census records less information), 'exact' age in years (in 1841, adults' ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years), and relationships within households.

So, if you can find this couple in 1851, you'll get a place of birth to at least act as a start. You may be lucky that they were born in a rural area an so the exact parish is given. If someone was born in an urban area, often just the name of town/city is recorded, though you may be lucky to find a parish name, within a city. However, with an age and place of birth from the census, you can then turn to using parish registers to try and find a baptism, and the names of parents.

As has been mentioned, if you can give names and other detail you have, it makes it easier to suggest courses of action.

Geoffers