PDA

View Full Version : JAMES, JONES OF CARDIGANSHIRE

Happy Jackie
21-04-2009, 3:23 PM
My ancestor, Sarah James, the second wife of William Evans and the mother of my great grandmother Anne Davies who was also William's third wife, was christened 21 Dec. 1814, in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales. Her sister, Mary James was christened 20 Apr. 1812 and her other sister, Jane was christened 21 Mar 1821 both in St. David's, Caron, Cardiganshire, Wales. Her brother, Nathaniel was christened in 1831 in Caron is Clawdd, Cardiganshire, Wales. A long time between kids! Their parents are Nathaniel James and Gwennifred Jones. Nathaniel was born in 1786 at Llanbadarn Fawr, CARDIGANSHIRE, WALES and Gwennifred abt 1784 at LLedrod, CARDIGANSHIRE, WALES. They were married 27 Sept. 1811 at Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales. I would appreciate any information on this family that you could give me. Thank you.

Astoria
21-04-2009, 4:25 PM
This looks a puzzle, am I correct in thinking that William Evans married Sarah James (2nd wife) and then her daughter from a previous marriage/liason, Ann Davies (3rd wife)

Do you have any of them on the 1841 census?

Happy Jackie
21-04-2009, 9:05 PM
Yes, that is correct. I have Nathaniel James on 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 different places of birth but around the same area so I think it is the same guy. In the 1841 census, he gives his name as Nathaniel Jones as he does in 1871 when he is living with William Evans. Nathaniel was 91 when he was buried in1872 and was “of Penlone” which is William Evans farm in Blaenpenal, Cardiganshire, Wales. His wife is sometimes Winifred, sometimes Gwennifred. The earliest census I have the Evans family is 1851. Any help is appreciated.

Astoria
21-04-2009, 9:12 PM
Ok, I'm hooked, what have you got and what do you want to find? :)

Happy Jackie
22-04-2009, 1:06 AM
Thanks for your interest, Astoria. I have a baptismal record for Mary, daughter of Nathl and Gwen James, Tnywydd, April 2, 1812, St. David’s, Caron, Cardiganshire, Wales. I have a christening record for Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel James and Gwen 21 Dec. 1814, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales. On the 1881 census, Mary James, single, born Caron is Claudd, is a border at the home of Anne (Davies) Evans, her niece. Nathaniel James and Gwenllian Jones both of this parish (Tregaron) were married Dec. 27, 1811. According to an article I found, Nathaniel James, born at Penlon in 1781, became a farmer at Tynswydd. He married Gwenllian Jones, the daughter of farmer John Jones of Llannswel. I have not been able to get any further back on either Nathaniel James nor his wife, Gwenllian, their parents or their siblings. I would be interested in knowing any more about them. I love wills but have been unable to find one for Nathaniel even though I have one record stating he was buried at Llanbadarn Odwyn, at age 91 on March 30, 1872 and another record stating that he is buried in Blaenpenal Churchyard beside his son in law, William Evans at age 92. So, I'd love either information as to how to find his will or his siblings or his wife’s siblings or either of their parents. Thanks a bunch for your interest.