PDA

View Full Version : A tiny victory!

Spangle
19-04-2009, 12:52 AM
A small victory, but a satisfying one. For the past couple of years or more I have had the death certificate of Edward Victor Robbins, my G G Grandfather. Although a Londoner by birth and residence, he died in Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment in 1903.

I could see that the cause of death read "Acute obstrcutive jaundice, *****'*, haematamesis 2 days". :confused:I have repeatedly gone back to the certificate copy on my computer, trying to Google various ideas of what the scrawled, unidentifiable word was. It looked like "bloem's"... or was it "block's", "gloeck's" or "blueok's"? None of it made any sense to me or to Google.

Something I read on here spurred me to try again tonight. Again I squinted, frowned, cursed... and then, after ten minutes, it dawned on me....

|idea|"6 weeks"!!! Clear as mud!

It wasn't some weird, antiquated expression, some odd now unknown or renamed disease to add to the poor man's fear and discomfort... it was stating that he had suffered the jaundice for 6 weeks.

I think he might have been looking down on me this evening an taken pity on me.... !

Procat
19-04-2009, 12:54 AM
It is amazing how obscure some of the most obvious things can become. :D

Congratulations on working it out.

birdlip
19-04-2009, 4:55 AM
Aha, well done!

It's the sort of thing we all do..sometimes we make things more complicated than they are, and then once you've worked it out, it seems so obvious!