PDA

View Full Version : Muster Rolls

Essex girl
19-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi Everyone,
Could some knowledgeable person help with a couple of queries re Muster rolls please (1852-1862).
I am not sure if they all follow a set format but the ones I was looking at had the first coloumn heading voucher no to what does this refer?
Is it possible for an individual to have more than one regiment no ? If yes why would this be so?
I noticed that some individuals had to pay for their discharge, I could not find a payment made by my man in the qtr when he was discharged. He had served for 10yrs so would this not be applicable ?
Many thanks for your help
Jude

Kerrywood
19-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I think the voucher referred to may have been to cover expenses; similar to a travel warrant.

That's correct. The vouchers are normally listed and identified at the end of the muster book for each quarter.

Kerrywood

Peter Goodey
19-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I noticed that some individuals had to pay for their discharge, I could not find a payment made by my man in the qtr when he was discharged. He had served for 10yrs so would this not be applicable ?

The reason for discharge is shown in his discharge papers, surely?

Essex girl
20-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Finbar and Kerrywood for that information.
I made my first ever trip to TNA on Saturday to search for discharge papers and muster rolls for my guy. Sadly it appears that I am one of the unlucky ones :( with regard to discharge papers having searched leads given by Geoffers and with the help of staff trying other searches. Looks like they don't exist. I then looked at some of the muster rolls and with time running out just noted the basic facts. I know that they will have to be 'revisited' but at least I will now have some idea as to what is there and can build up a record from them.

Jude