PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1911 census search

freddie999
18-04-2009, 11:01 AM
As with many, I was excited, as I discovered Cumberland had finally been added to the 1911census. I had a list of rellies to track down, so I rushed to my computer an loaded up my vouchers which I had bought in anticipation.. I keyed in their names, but discovered nothing. Perhaps it's my lack of skill in searching, can anyone please help me find these people in the census?

1)William Henry Scott ( born 1893/1896 his pensioner record card gives his birth
year as 1897)

Mother

2)Agnes Scott. I have found a few Agnes, in service, not with her son, so not sure of her birth year.

William Henry Scott’s wife:

3) Sarah McAllister ( born 1906)

4) Joseph Briser or Brisco ( born 1840)

Wife:

5) Sarah Elizabeth Briser or Brisco ( born 1860)

Daughter

6) Phyllis Briser or Brisco ( born 1883) McAllister (wife of Samuel below)

Joseph, and Sarah Elizabeth, and Phyllis details were confirmed later on a gravestone

7) Mary McAllister ( born 1852)
Son

8) Samuel McAllister ( born 1875)

All born in Carlisle

In the 1911 census, I found 2 Agnes Scotts wife/ daughter one dairy maid on farm aged 69/3? I am not sure this is her.

Sorry it's a long list, you can see how I needed Cumberland to be on the census

Thanks

Craig

pete ash
18-04-2009, 5:41 PM
Cant find 'em im afraid. I had the same bother trying to find grandparents in Northumberland. The only reason i did was because they were children and living with parents. Only the head of household shows up in a name search, i imagine this is because they didn,t bother to transcribe everyone in the rush to cash in. Looking for the father might pay off
pete

Wirral
18-04-2009, 5:55 PM
Only the head of household shows up in a name search, i imagine this is because they didn,t bother to transcribe everyone in the rush to cash in.
That isn't true - all are transcribed.

pejay
18-04-2009, 6:07 PM
I too have had problems with the 1911 census, I searched for ages with no success, then all at once after trying many name variations I just put initials for first name - and hey bingo came up trumps :) still looking for some ancestors though.

Kerrywood
18-04-2009, 6:24 PM
Phyllis Briser or Brisco ( born 1883) McAllister (wife of Samuel below)
8) Samuel McAllister ( born 1875)

All born in Carlisle

I think you'll find a Phyllis and Samuel MCALLISTER in the same household in Carlisle if you search with the surname MC ALLISTER (space between) ;)

Kerrywood

Wirral
18-04-2009, 6:54 PM
I think Joseph might have died:
Joseph BRISCOE died Mar 1909 Cockermouth 10b 410 age 67.

In 1911, search for Sarah Elizabeth BRISCO born 1860 +/- 3, living in Carlisle.

Wirral
18-04-2009, 7:01 PM
A search for William SCOTT born 1895 +/-3 & living in Cumberland gives a number of possibilities, none of whom are living with an Agnes. 4 give their place of birth as Carlisle. He may have left home by then, or she may have died. Do you know what his occupation was at that time?

Waitabit
19-04-2009, 4:42 AM
I think you'll find a Phyllis and Samuel MCALLISTER in the same household in Carlisle if you search with the surname MC ALLISTER (space between) ;)

Kerrywood

Along with Sarah Agnes Mc Allister aged 6

pete ash
19-04-2009, 9:05 AM
That isn't true - all are transcribed.

If "all are transcribed" why don't they turn up on a search, even when searching using the exact information on the transcription form?

Wirral
19-04-2009, 9:51 AM
If "all are transcribed" why don't they turn up on a search, even when searching using the exact information on the transcription form?
I don't know why you are unable to find them. I never ask for a transcription now, I only view the original form, as I have found too many errors & missing information in transcriptions. I've tried putting in the details from children found on original pages & they turn up every time. I have also done an original search for people who were not head of household & they turn up OK as well.
All I can think of is that either you are not entering the details in exactly the sections that they are indexed in; or that this is some perculiarity of transcriptions rather than original images.

Heather
19-04-2009, 4:17 PM
I don't know why you are unable to find them. All I can think of is that either you are not entering the details in exactly the sections that they are indexed in; or that this is some perculiarity of transcriptions rather than original images.

If I recall correctly, this UK census was transcribed by prison inmates. There were some hilarious deliberate double entendre entries, but you have to remember, not all of them were Oxford-educated!! :D

And each person would probably follow his own style of entry, not to mention trying to figure out what Joe Blow, the Census Taker, wrote down.

Just my thoughts.....|wave|

Angewozere
19-04-2009, 5:53 PM
I too have had a problem with the search on 1911 census I know my rellie was in the workhouse but can I find her I have tried every permentation going from address to just plain workhouse and instituation I even found the name of the master and matron ? Still no good |computer|

Nicolina
19-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I have found, by round about methods, several entered as Mr. W* and Mrs. W*, whilst others only had their initials.
Try not to be too specific when you search, even if it means having to trawl through loads of names you might just hit paydirt

bob graham
23-04-2009, 6:50 PM
I too have had a problem with the search on 1911 census I know my rellie was in the workhouse but can I find her I have tried every permentation going from address to just plain workhouse and instituation I even found the name of the master and matron ? Still no good |computer|
Which workhouse to see if we can get in through other doors?
bob

Angewozere
23-04-2009, 6:58 PM
Its Lanchester on newbiggin /en road I have stilll not found it and someone suggested that it may not be on there and to check with DRO But even so I have tried all sorts as in my other post about it { I am not computor illiterate that much to attach it here lol }If you can find I should be extremely grateful

bob graham
27-04-2009, 2:13 PM
Lanchester workhouse was definitely there but the only list of inmates they advertise was for the 1891 census. But you do know Lanchester isn't in Cumberland and you might get better help on the co.durham board.
bob

Geoff Everitt
27-04-2009, 6:15 PM
About Lanchester Workhouse http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Lanchester/