PDA

View Full Version : Can I split up my family?

Mike Fear
15-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I have FTM 2005 with both sides of my tree on it.
Is it possible to split into two, maternal & paternal so it is easier for my moher to understand or will I have to start over again
Thankyou|help|

Mutley
15-04-2009, 10:41 PM
You can export selected individuals!
I have not tried it, not needed too.

Can you copy your file with a new name and then try it with the new file keeping the original safe?

Browneyes
15-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I have FTM 2005. Would an 'hourglass' tree be suitable? If you use 'view' then find your mum on the index of individuals, go to view, tree charts then hourglass tree standard. You can then customise the information needed. Then you could print it out.

Ron Leech
16-04-2009, 6:44 AM
Hi Mike

As Mutley suggest you can create new trees using your existing data. You will need to go to the head of each family line to make sure that you export all of their related individuals. This may mean creating a few partial trees on the way but they can all be merged together.

I have carried out this operation several times to create separate trees for my cousins.

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-04-2009, 9:49 AM
Ron has already given you guidelines as to how to split your tree, so here's what I did, when I split my tree into my maternal and paternal lines.

I have FTM 2005 as well, so to make sure I didn't miss the head of all family lines, first, I created and printed out for reference - an Ancestor chart for my father, then another one for my mother.

Working from each chart, I created an All Descendants chart for each head of family, down to my mother ...... then exported it as a gedcom file (naming it as the particular family) to the FTW folder. (Then the same thing again for my father's families).

Then, I merged the relevant gedcoms together, into one file for my maternal line and then one for my paternal line (re-naming them as such). It took a while, but I find it much easier now, after splitting them up.