PDA

View Full Version : McAfee...AHHHH!!

sue2white
15-04-2009, 5:08 PM
My Norton anti virus was coming up for renewal a few weeks ago. As I had had a MASSIVE virus on my computer last month (called Packed Generic 200) that was IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of and ate away at my computer at the speed of light, making me have to have my computer 'flattened' ( not literally...the technical term for wiped), I decided to blow Norton out and give McAfee a go. I had lost all confidence in Norton. |doh|

Well!! It is driving me to distraction!
When I switch my computer on, it immediately updates...a good thing I know, but while it is doing that, it is impossible for me to do anything else. And THEN..it tells me I need to 'fix' my securities i.e install the updates!! Why does it not just do this automatically?? Also when it decides to scan my computer, I have a similar problem...I can barely do anything else.
Emails come in really slowly too. Despite my Broadband being 'up to' 8mb.

Oh Norton...all is forgiven!! Only problem is...I'm stuck with McAfee for another 11 months!! Give me strength!!. |computer|

busyglen
15-04-2009, 5:31 PM
Sorry you are having problems Sue. I had Norton but found that very slow, so when it was up for renewal I went for AVG which is free. So far and touching wood, I don't seem to have any problems. Yes it updates when I turn it on, but it is relatively quick. I have the scan set to come on at a time when I am not usually on the pc, so that I don't get the interruption. On the occasion when I am on and it is causing a problem I exit from the scan and run it later.

I'm afraid I can't comment on McAfee but I am sure others can, and maybe help you.

Good luck.

Glenys

Squaredancer
15-04-2009, 5:34 PM
I can recommend Panda Internet Security. Anti-virus and Firewall. Updates daily, slows things down a little while doing so but not enough to bother about. We had Norton before and it let several viruses in.
:)

sue2white
15-04-2009, 5:57 PM
I have just checked the set up for my McAfee product and it was set up to install automaticallyy...but isn't!! How annoying is that??

I have had AVG in the past, but had to have a separate firewall, malware scanner etc etc, so found Norton easier. But as I said, when it let in, what they described as the one of the 'top three biggest viruses' onto my computer, I totally lost confidence.

Let's hope McAfee proves it's weight in gold....before I smash my computer!!|rant|

Neil Wilson
15-04-2009, 6:49 PM
I had the same problem earlier this week (I had to re-install McAfee). The way round it was to do a quic scan of the computer and this cured the Fix problem. Made sure you have it set to do a full scan at least weekly, I have it set at a time when a certain TV program is on. that I watch.

Barnzzz
15-04-2009, 8:44 PM
I used to have Norton and recently switched to McAfee, I've found it fine so far. The only problem I've had is that it found lots of things that Norton didn't tell me about, I've had to look each one up before telling McAfee what to do about it. I suppose thats a good thing really.............
Sue

sue2white
15-04-2009, 9:16 PM
The way round it was to do a quic scan of the computer and this cured the Fix problem

Have just done this .....keeping my fingers crossed!!

The only problem I've had is that it found lots of things that Norton didn't tell me about, I've had to look each one up before telling McAfee what to do about it.

This happened when I opened my tree making programme...it said that a one time change was required. I decided not to allow this, but it kept re-asking me, so in the end, fed up with it, I relented. Norton would never have asked, it would have just stopped it. I'll probably end up letting all sorts in!! :confused:

Sue

v.wells
15-04-2009, 9:34 PM
I can recommend Panda Internet Security. Anti-virus and Firewall. Updates daily, slows things down a little while doing so but not enough to bother about. We had Norton before and it let several viruses in.

We would never have Norton or McAffee. I too recommend Panda Internet Security. We've used it for years and never had a problem.

If you didn't get rid of Norton totally, then McAffee won't work properly and vice versa. Panda costs $90 for 3 licences. AVG may be free but you run a risk of failure if it goes past the 1 yr mark and you forget to upgrade to the next version.

Marief
16-04-2009, 3:52 AM
Hi,

I have been using Linux on my PC. My son set it up and he says I dont have to worry about virus's as linux stops them automatically. I have now got a lap to which has Linux and Windows. I hate Windows, but there are cases when I cant use certian things because Windows wont let them be used on Linux., even using 'wine'. But of course lots of programs can be downloaded free with Linux.

I have Norton on Windows and it keeps updating and drives me even more mad. Son says not to download things on Windows unless i am absolutely sure its OK. Dont have to worry on Linus/Firefox. I think its a firewall.

Its not difficult to use and never crashes or sends silly messages, like "not enough space "etc., I am well over retirement age and can use it.

Marie

sue2white
16-04-2009, 7:57 AM
If you didn't get rid of Norton totally, then McAffee won't work properly and vice versa

I did use the Norton removal tool, so I know it is completely gone.

I too recommend Panda Internet Security. We've used it for years and never had a problem

I'll give this a try next year. :o

Thanks for advice.

Sue :D

JennyP
16-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree with Neil that you you try to reinstall.

If it is set to update automatically and doesn't then there is a problem. You also say it does not retain your requests to not allow things and keeps asking.

What else might it not be doing that it should? :eek:

MarkJ
16-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I have been using Linux on my PC. My son set it up and he says I dont have to worry about virus's as linux stops them automatically. I have now got a lap to which has Linux and Windows. I hate Windows, but there are cases when I cant use certian things because Windows wont let them be used on Linux., even using 'wine'. But of course lots of programs can be downloaded free with Linux.

I have Norton on Windows and it keeps updating and drives me even more mad. Son says not to download things on Windows unless i am absolutely sure its OK. Dont have to worry on Linus/Firefox. I think its a firewall.

Its not difficult to use and never crashes or sends silly messages, like "not enough space "etc., I am well over retirement age and can use it.

Marie

Linux doesn't stop viruses automatically Marie - but it is not affected by Windows viruses because the coding used in the virus doesn't work in Linux.
The downloading warning from your son has the same basic reason - some programs contain malicious code deliberately put there to infect your computer (trojans). These malicious programs - in the main - do not run on Linux systems, thus downloading is safer. However, there ARE malware risks with Linux systems - the only one to worry about are rootkits. Having said that, rootkits tend to be aimed at machines running server software such as Apache and focus on older, unpatched software.

Running Windows software on Linux via Wine is often successful, but if the software won't run in Wine, and you have a reasonably powerful PC, you may like to consider running a "virtual machine". That allows you to install a licenced copy of Windows (or indeed a different Linux distro or many other operating systems!) inside your main system. It runs in a virtualised system (i.e a "pretend" machine with its own pretend hardware). That way, you can install your Windows programs into a real Windows system which is living inside your Linux system :) Sounds technical, but it is actually quite simple to set up. Should the Windows virtual machine go wrong, it is easy to delete the pretend hard drive which has the Windows installed on it and start again with a new install - without affecting your Linux system.

Mark

sue2white
16-04-2009, 11:25 AM
It downloads the updates okay, but then asks me to install them
Having said that, since I did the quick scan, as suggested by Neil, it seems to be ok.
Fingers crossed.

Sue|snore|

Neil Wilson
16-04-2009, 7:14 PM
Keep them crossed then Sue, mine just updated itself and requested a restart/close (the notification box), so I decided on restart.

aland
17-04-2009, 7:19 PM
I use NOD 32 from ESET, it updates itself in seconds every time I log on, runs in the back ground and dosen't seem to affect the speed of anything else running, really happy with it.

sue2white
17-04-2009, 7:46 PM
I shall bare that in mind next year!!
Thanks
Sue

David Benson
18-04-2009, 8:19 AM
mine just updated itself and requested a restart/close (the notification box), so I decided on restart.
It is imperative that you DO restart or the update will not have finished the install. The 'close' option is only there to allow you to finish whatever you are working on before you restart.
I have seen many computers infected because the update was not fully installed. Your computer may even be unprotected against some viruses/trojans until the restart is performed.

sue2white
18-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Everything seems fine now since I did the quick scan. Can't understand why it wasn't installing before, without asking. But it is updating and installing now, without any intervention from me. And it kindly lets me know when it has done so.
Thank goodness.
Sue|wave|

sue2white
24-04-2009, 9:13 PM
AHHHH!! IT'S AT IT AGAIN!!!

Everything came to a halt while it downloaded and installed the updates and then told me my security I at risk unless I 'fix' it!!

All I have to do is click fix and wait a few moments BUT WHY DOES IT KEEP DOING THIS?? It is driving me senseless!!

|computer||computer||computer|

Sue

Bartongirl
30-07-2009, 6:01 PM
Hi Sue

Know how you feel! Having used Norton which completely messed up my last computer, I ended up buying a new one (needed one anyway really). My last computer used XP and the new one uses Vista with McAffee pre-installed. However I was not able to view BMD records on findmypast. It kept throwing up DjVu errors and IE would close down automatically. I trawled through loads of tech. websites and findmypast for 2 days to try and find a solution to the problem. No luck, tried everything. |computer|

I was just about to throw in the towel when I found an answer by sheer luck playing with the toolbar preferences in IE.

DISABLE THE MCAFFEE SITE ADVISOR TOOLBAR. Since doing this findmypast is working fine.

Lorraine

sue2white
30-07-2009, 9:20 PM
It has been a while since I started this thread and things seem to have calmed down, but my computer has slowed down too. I cannot do anything else while McAfee is scanning and emails take a while to come in.
Rest assured, when my year is up, I will be going elsewhere for my antivirus.

Sue|snore|

Carmy
31-07-2009, 12:08 AM
I had Norton years ago. Paid $85 for it to let in a virus, and then some other costs to replace programs the virus destroyed. I run both C and D drives. The virus deleted key elements of every program on my C drive but failed to enter D.

I used AVG for years until warnings came out a few months ago about the latest update. I switched to Avira, found it far too slow, and now use Avast. It's fast and a lot smaller than Norton.

I've never tried McAffee but I have used the on-line scanner in the past.