PDA

View Full Version : chapman Elie Fife

scrapmum
13-04-2009, 7:33 PM
I am trying to trace my Chapman ancestors who came from Elie in Fife. My ggg grandfather was William Chapman, a seaman B 1800, who eventully settled in Greenock. I think his father was James, also a seaman, and his grandfather James a mason, all from Elie, can anyone help me trace these people?|help|
Anne Marie

Wirral
13-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry that I have no connection to you, nor any connection to any of your family, but I have just had a lovely day out at Elie this Saturday! The weather was glorious and the first skinny-dippers of the year were out, building sandcastles!:)

Pandad
14-04-2009, 7:58 AM
This could be your William?

William Chapman/Head/51 (1800)/Seaman/Elie Fifeshire

5 Broad Close, Greenock, Renfewshire.

Source: Year: 1851: Parish: Greenock Middle; ED: 28; Page: 3; Line: 13; Roll: 524

Extracted from *A* index as actual census is not available.

scrapmum
14-04-2009, 3:35 PM
Hi:)I Pandad

It is indeed my William, he lived in Broad close in Greenock and married a girl called Agnes/Anne Campbell. Do you have more info or are you related to William also?:)

scrapmum
14-04-2009, 3:37 PM
Hi Wirral

I too was in Elie at the weekend and it was beautiful.......hope that was not me you spotted|angel|!!!!

Pandad
15-04-2009, 7:22 AM
Hi:)I Pandad

It is indeed my William, he lived in Broad close in Greenock and married a girl called Agnes/Anne Campbell. Do you have more info or are you related to William also?:)

No Scrapmum, not related nor any more info. Just had a quick look on *A* and found it. On that census William was the only occupant of the household, no sign of a wife.

scrapmum
15-04-2009, 3:38 PM
No Scrapmum, not related nor any more info. Just had a quick look on *A* and found it. On that census William was the only occupant of the household, no sign of a wife.
Hi Panda
Thank you so much for looking for me. I have quite a bit of info on William already but no birth cert as yet, I seem to have a dreadful problem finding that. I have his marriage and death certs but not his birth, I am also looking for his parents, his father's name was James and that's all I know about him just now, but I will keep searching.
Thanks again for you help.

Pandad
16-04-2009, 7:46 AM
You will not find an actual 'birth certificate' for William as official registration did not start in Scotland until 1855. You will need to look at OPRs for his birth/baptism.

When I get a chance I will pop into Dunfermline library which has a family history department and have a look to see if I can find him. They have most of the OPRs for Fife.

Pandad
16-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Went into Dunfermline library and searched OPRs for Elie. A few CHAPMAN surnames are recorded in the different OPRs.

Searched Elie 427/2 birth/baptism 1795 to 1832 for William CHAPMAN with father of James, but found nothing to match.

Searched Elie 427/2 marriages for James CHAPMAN and found this entry:

No1. Saturday Nov 1st 1788
James Chapman jun, Farmer in Ely, second son of James Chapman, Mason, there by Agnes Colvil, alias Collen, his first wife, was contracted with May Taylor housekeeper to Sir John Anstruther, Bart and daughter of David Taylor late tenent in Drumrack in the parish of Crail. They were proclaimed twice on the 2nd and once on the 9th and married on Friday the 14th by Mr Pairman.

NB. None of them was ever married before.

Duty paid 3d.

Suggestion: Look in Crail OPR for birth/baptism of William, the parish of May Taylor, his mother above.

Searched Elie 427/1 marriages for James CHAPMAN and found this entry:

1756 Dec 18th
James Chapman in this parish & Agnes Collen in the parish of Kilconquhar were contracted after proclamation married Dec 31st 1756.

Searched Elie 427/1 Birth/Baptism for above couple and found following. You will notice that one wife has maiden name of Brown and other has maiden name of Colin or variations of. The Nov 1st 1788 marriage above mentions Agnes Colvil/Collen as ‘first wife’ indicating James was married twice, so Agnes Brown could be his second wife.

Mary lawful daughter to James Chapman, Mason in Ely & Agnus Brown was born 1st June & bapt 3rd 1778. Note: She died 1816 of consumption.

Mary daughter of James Chapman & Agnes Brown bapt 7th Jan 1770.

Jean lawful daughter to James Chapman & Agnes Brown was baptised Aug 11th 1767.

Gavin lawful son to James Chapman was baptised Nov 26th 1763

May 18th 1763
James (born this day) lawful son to James Chapman Mason in Elie & Agnes Colin his spouse was baptised 23rd witnesses the congregation.

May 22nd 1761
William (born May 22nd) lawful son to James Chapman, Mason in Elie & Agnes Collen his spouse was baptised witnessed the congregation.

Oct 1st 1758
Agnes (born Sept 27th) lawful daughter to James Chapman, Mason in Elie & Agnes Collen his spouse was baptised witnesses William Chapman and David Downie or Davnie.

Sources:
Elie 427/1
B. 1639 – 1775
M. 1639 – 1775
D. 1736 – 1760

Elie 427/2
B. 1773 – 1819
M. 1774 – 1819
D. 1783 – 1808

Elie 427/3
B. 1820 – 1854
M. 1820 – 1854
D. 1822 - 1854

scrapmum
16-04-2009, 4:26 PM
Went into Dunfermline library and searched OPRs for Elie. A few CHAPMAN surnames are recorded in the different OPRs.

Searched Elie 427/2 birth/baptism 1795 to 1832 for William CHAPMAN with father of James, but found nothing to match.

Searched Elie 427/2 marriages for James CHAPMAN and found this entry:

No1. Saturday Nov 1st 1788
James Chapman jun, Farmer in Ely, second son of James Chapman, Mason, there by Agnes Colvil, alias Collen, his first wife, was contracted with May Taylor housekeeper to Sir John Anstruther, Bart and daughter of David Taylor late tenent in Drumrack in the parish of Crail. They were proclaimed twice on the 2nd and once on the 9th and married on Friday the 14th by Mr Pairman.

NB. None of them was ever married before.

Duty paid 3d.

Suggestion: Look in Crail OPR for birth/baptism of William, the parish of May Taylor, his mother above.

Searched Elie 427/1 marriages for James CHAPMAN and found this entry:

1756 Dec 18th
James Chapman in this parish & Agnes Collen in the parish of Kilconquhar were contracted after proclamation married Dec 31st 1756.

Searched Elie 427/1 Birth/Baptism for above couple and found following. You will notice that one wife has maiden name of Brown and other has maiden name of Colin or variations of. The Nov 1st 1788 marriage above mentions Agnes Colvil/Collen as ‘first wife’ indicating James was married twice, so Agnes Brown could be his second wife.

Mary lawful daughter to James Chapman, Mason in Ely & Agnus Brown was born 1st June & bapt 3rd 1778. Note: She died 1816 of consumption.

Mary daughter of James Chapman & Agnes Brown bapt 7th Jan 1770.

Jean lawful daughter to James Chapman & Agnes Brown was baptised Aug 11th 1767.

Gavin lawful son to James Chapman was baptised Nov 26th 1763

May 18th 1763
James (born this day) lawful son to James Chapman Mason in Elie & Agnes Colin his spouse was baptised 23rd witnesses the congregation.

May 22nd 1761
William (born May 22nd) lawful son to James Chapman, Mason in Elie & Agnes Collen his spouse was baptised witnessed the congregation.

Oct 1st 1758
Agnes (born Sept 27th) lawful daughter to James Chapman, Mason in Elie & Agnes Collen his spouse was baptised witnesses William Chapman and David Downie or Davnie.

Sources:
Elie 427/1
B. 1639 – 1775
M. 1639 – 1775
D. 1736 – 1760

Elie 427/2
B. 1773 – 1819
M. 1774 – 1819
D. 1783 – 1808

Elie 427/3
B. 1820 – 1854
M. 1820 – 1854
D. 1822 - 1854
Hi Pandad
First of all let me say sorry, I called you Panda in a previous e-mail, opps!!! My fingers must have been going to quickly over the keys, sorry about that.
Now, I have been on Scotland’s People .gov and I found the same info as you. but being the novice at this that I am, I was thinking I was not looking in the right places. That is an inspired thought to look in Crail for info, I never thought of that one, I did try Kilconquhar but not Crail. That would be too weird for words if that was the case and he came from there, as I have always said when I'm in Crail it feels somehow like home!! In fact I am going there tomorrow for the weekend, so if I find any info I can go looking for the places he may have lived. I have from the date of William's marriage to Agnes/Anne all the info on him till his death and it all says he came from Elie, but for the life of me can't find his birth records. lol I only found out his dad was James because it says so on the record of his death extract. I also have looked on Ancestry .com and have a tree there for the Chapman's. I am so determined to find out the rest of the story I have started to unravel of the Chapman history, its fascinating stuff and is becoming a passion with me!!! lol
Thank you so much for all you help and for going to all the bother of looking for me, you’re a real treasure, thank you so much!