PDA

View Full Version : Cowley/Oxford Kelly's Directories

Colin Parkinson
13-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I have found a relation Mrs Charlotte Parkinson as the sub-postmistress at Cowley Post Office from 1891 Census and in Kellys Directories for 1903, 1907 & 1911. Does anyone have access to Kelly's from 1911 as this will indicate how long Charlotte was there. She actually married Rees Rhys-Morgan in 1909 so may appear as Mrs Charlotte Rhys-Morgan or Mrs Charlotte Morgan.
Charlotte & Rees Morgan arrived in Southampton in about 1932.
As ever appreciate any help.
Colin

christopher_n_lewis
14-04-2009, 1:19 PM
Oxfordshire Studies has an almost-complete run of Kelly's Directory of Oxford and Neighbourhood. They came out every one or two years, so can be more useful than the County directories.

Colin Parkinson
15-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Thank you for the information.
Does anyone have access to Oxfordshire Studies for Oxford Kellys from after 1911?
Many thanks.
Colin

Colin Parkinson
03-08-2009, 4:46 PM
Recently got back to looking at this question. A google search for Oxfordshire Studies took me to their website. They offer short "lookups" or can direct to researchers for more complicated or longer research enquiries.
Within a couple of days of my enquiry I learnt that Charlotte Parkinson appears as the sub-postmistress at Cowley until the 1914-15 Kellys and then in her new name Mrs C Morgan until 1925.
Full marks to the Senior Librarian, Local Studies, Oxfordshire Studies.
Colin

Alexandrina
03-08-2009, 8:00 PM
There are some terrific resources for Oxford history, including directories and other listings on the Oxford History site

http://www.headington.org.uk/oxon/index.htm

Enjoy

Lexy