PDA

View Full Version : Resettlement of an orphaned baby

froghollow
13-04-2009, 1:54 AM
Hi, Baby John was orphaned in 1796 in Kingsdon, Somerset. He was sent to Lovington, Somerset.

Can anyone tell me how it would be decided where an orphaned baby would be resettled ? Would he be sent to his mother's or father's home parish ?

cheers

Carole

ChristineR
13-04-2009, 4:14 AM
Was John baptised in Lovington? I would imagine that he would be settled in his 'own' parish - any other parish would have to accept him and I wouldn't think that they would if he was baptised elsewhere. If he had been baptised in Kinsdon, I would think that he should have rights to local parish support.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will advise. :)

Peter Goodey
13-04-2009, 7:20 AM
I believe the child would take the settlement of his father. This would not necessarily be the father's place of birth but it might be.

froghollow
14-04-2009, 2:12 PM
Baby John was baptised in Kingsdon but he was sent to Lovington at the age of about 15 months by a Poor Law Removal Order. I think it was to relatives of his father, that isn't stated on the order but there was no Workhouse in Lovington at any time so....

Many thanks for your thoughts

Peter Goodey
14-04-2009, 4:18 PM
Whether or not there were facilities for looking after a baby didn't come into it. It wasn't Kingsdon's responsibility so off he went. The settlement laws weren't humane.