PDA

View Full Version : Baptist Chapels Hull. Yorks

OLFEN1
12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I am interested in the Salthouse Lane Baptist Chapel Hull, as I have a family who worshiped there. And possibly another family may have been members too.
The families I am interested in are the Wilson's & Ellington's.
Does anyone out there have any information on this Chapel, or where I might find the records.
Olfen1

emeltee
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi,
I don't have any info re this Chapel but I do subscribe to a web site which has access to non-conformist BMDs and I am willing to have a look for you if you let me have some names and dates.
Emeltee

Browneyes
12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Built in 1757. First Baptist assemblies were held in a room in Manor Alley in a building then called Henry the Eight's Tower
From Google Books : History and Topography of the City of York, the East Riding of Yorkshire, and a Portion of the West Riding: Embracing a General Review of the Early History of Great Britain, and a General History and Description of the County of York By James Joseph Sheahan, T. Whellan published 1856

Other bits of information from other G'books:
In 1797, because the Chapel was small, some members of the congregation moved to a new place of worship in George Street.

St Barbara's Guild (?) "the hall of which stood in Salthouse Lane, with a large chapel belonging to it" and "immediately adjoining it"

Peter Goodey
12-04-2009, 4:14 PM
No dates are mentioned in the question.

Pre-1837 records will probably be at the National Archives but the catalogue only mentions the George Street chapel

See also "Non parochial records" on the National Archives search page
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/?source=searcharchives

Nicolina
12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
you could check with the Borthwick Institute in York, or the Records Office in Beverley.

OLFEN1
13-04-2009, 8:39 AM
Thank you all to my enquiry, I was amazed to receive so many. I found it really interesting. I will write what information I have on each family if I may, and perhaps, one of you kind people can help me solve this brick wall.
Firstly, I am searching for the birth or baptism of Harriet Ellington about 1811.
I have not been able to find her on the normal searches. She married Thomas Wilson 28-10-1833 St. Mary's. Harriet died 27-10-1848 Hull, on the death certificate it gives her age as 37. They had three children, and I have been unable to find any baptism for them. Daniel b. 1834. Elizabeth b. 1843. Ellen b. 1847 ??.
Thomas remarried 28-10-1849 to Mary Banks at Salthouse Lane Baptist Chapel. At first I thought that it may have been Mary Banks who was the Baptist, but know I feel sure that the family of Wilson's must also have been Baptist. Thomas and Mary Banks went on to have one child Jane b. 28-6-1850 Hull.
If there is someone who can help me with this, I would be most grateful.
Olfen1

Andrew Mead
13-04-2009, 8:24 PM
Have you tried the Yorkshire (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152) or East Riding (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153) Forums - you may get more help there and more knowledgeable people.

OLFEN1
14-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Thank you Andrew for that, I will try this site and let you know.
Olfen1