PDA

View Full Version : Nympsfield Orphanage run by nuns

jaspy
11-04-2009, 7:52 PM
I am looking for info on this place run by nuns in Gloucestershire. I want info from the 1920's and 30's. The nuns are still there and won't talk to me.
Anyone know who would keep their records?
They are Marist?

Marie C..
11-04-2009, 7:59 PM
If they won't talk to you then that may be because it's too soon and they are simply being discreet.
There is a Catholic Family History Society. Google for details. It might well be helpful as to what you might do. M

SBSFamilyhistory
11-04-2009, 8:33 PM
The convent in Nympsfield is Marist. Could it have been a children's home rather than an orphanage.

Sue

jaspy
11-04-2009, 8:35 PM
It might have been - my nan always calls it an orphanage. They would not talk to her either so I doubt their discretion!
What difference would it make - might they have records for a children's home? and not make the connection for an orphange?

Marie C..
11-04-2009, 8:59 PM
There is a site
www.
careleaversreunited.com which has a list of homes etc and the convent at Nymspfield is included. You have to register with it to get any info.
I don't know whether it's allowed to put it on here but a Mod will remove it if not.M

Neil Wilson
11-04-2009, 9:07 PM
There is a site
www.
careleaversreunited.com which has a list of homes etc and the convent at Nymspfield is included. You have to register with it to get any info.
I don't know whether it's allowed to put it on here but a Mod will remove it if not.M
OK by me Marie.

Marie C..
11-04-2009, 9:10 PM
Thanks Neil.

jaspy
11-04-2009, 9:21 PM
Thanks. I have just posted on there for her.
Just trying to figure out her past with her.

Rita68
29-12-2013, 8:08 AM
Hi I have lived in the Convent in Nympsfiled, I lived there from being a 1 year old. What is it you would like to know?

Rita

Dizzy600
29-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi Rita,

You could click on jaspy's name and send a private message to make contact if her email is still current.

Karen

Rita68
30-12-2013, 5:41 AM
Hi yes I have done this already, thank you

Peter Goodey
30-12-2013, 10:08 AM
What is it you would like to know?

What the questioner asked was -

Anyone know who would keep their records?

Do you know?

Rita68
30-12-2013, 7:10 PM
Hi no offence but this is not so straight forward, it was a long time ago and it depends on what information is required. ie. if it is about when they were in the Convent, then they need to go to Social Services and get their personal file, which is something I did. It depends on what information they require. This is very personal and that is why I have private messaged the enquirer. Its not as simple as one person having all the records. I will wait for the enquirer to contact me themselves. Thanks for your help.