PDA

View Full Version : William Sawford/Sawfoot....

RiffRaff
25-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Searching for info on above....
Grave in Knotting claims he was 77 when he died in 1880, and he appears on all censuses from 1841-1871, but there's no record of his birth/baptism in the Knotting register.
In all censuses he puts Knotting as birthplace, except the last ('71) when he decides it was Melchbourne!
Wondering if he could perhaps be John Sawfoot (born right year, but in Melchbourne) as he seems to disappear from view....
Any info really welcome.....many thanks.
Regards to all.....

Pat Burke
24-10-2005, 6:26 AM
Hello!
I have an ancestor Charlotte who (acc to her death certificate) was born around 1800.
She married a William Cox and they lived in Milton Ernest. They had at least five children.
She died in 1843.
I do not have lots of information but I do know her maiden name was written variously as Tofford Saufoot and Sawfoot.

Have you come across any Sawfoots born around the turn of the century?
Any information would be gratefully received.

Could your William be anything to do with the widow Mary Ann in the 1881 Census? Just a thought.
Cheers

RiffRaff
22-12-2005, 7:17 PM
Pat....
Firstly, my little research has often come up with the fact that Sawfoot/Salford/Sawford/Sauford are all interchangeable, so the following may be of interest....
I have a Charlotte Sawford born in Knotting (Beds) .....
Baptised 31 May 1807, but not necessarily as an infant.
Parents were John Salford (see what I mean?!) and Mary Elliot, although he was Sawford on his marriage info.
To further prove the rubbish about the name, John's father was William Sauford, who was a right old rogue.....Aged 66, he was up before Bedford Assizes for GBH on some poor soul....
If you think this could be fitting in, let me know and I'll let you have some more!