PDA

View Full Version : William Jefferies born 1890, Staffordshire

dboyle
25-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I am trying to find details of my late grandfather's war service. He enlisted in the first weeks of the war as a private and was later commissioned in the field. He was awarded the Military Medal and Croix de Guerre avec palmes. He served with the Glosters, though may have also served with another regiment. I have been unable to identify him via the London Gazette and have so far been unsuccessful with a search of the medal cards at the National Archives. I sent for the full medal card of a William Jefferies, however it was not my grandfather, but another, born on 21 June 1896, who grew up in Keighley. Those details are available to his descendants if they contact me.
Does anyone know the regiment number for the Glosters, or any other way I might narrow down my search? Also, I should be grateful for any suggestions as to how to find out about Croix de Guerre recipients.
Daphne Boyle

Terry Reeves
26-02-2005, 1:35 PM
Daphne

There is a Temporary 2nd Lt W. Jefferies MM, Gloucestershire Regt, in the November 1918 Army List with a seniority date of 28.11. 1917

Terry Reeves

dboyle
28-02-2005, 2:27 AM
Thank you, Terry. Where did you find the Army list? Is it online or do you have to visit an archive?
Daphne

Terry Reeves
28-02-2005, 6:37 PM
Daphne

I have my own copy of this list, three volumes and an index volume. Larger libraries will sometimes hold Navy and Army and Airforce lists as well. The National Archive also has complete sets. Naval and Military Press do reprints of various lists, but these can be expensive if you are only looking for an occassional name. They have their own on-line catalogue.

With regard to army numbers, this is a bit of a minefield. The Regular battalions of the Gloucestershire Regiment would have all had their own numbers, as would all other infantry regiments, hence the term "regimental number", each one replicated in each battalion. Similarly The Territorial battalions had the same system up until 1917 when their numbers were changed to a six figure number and allocated in blocks to regiments. I have a list of these TF number changes.

I think it likely the his C de G was connected with his MM award. All the allied nations allocated a number of national awards to each other, but it was up to individual countries as to how they were allocated to their own troops. It was quite common for officers and men to awarded foriegn decorations alongside a gallantry award such as the Military Medal or Distinguished Conduct Medal or a Military Cross for instance. His C de G should have been announced in the London Gazette.

If I can help further, please let me know.

Terry Reeves