PDA

View Full Version : how do you find a workhouse ?

Angewozere
09-04-2009, 8:06 PM
I have a birth cert for my Uncle and he was about a month old in the 1911 census Born in the workhouse I have tried searching for him to find my grandmother I have put his name in and hers without success at all I have also tried to search by the name of the road that the workhouse was on still with no success !On the birth certtit gives the name of the workhouse as 1 NEWBIGGIN {EN}ROAD and also a PLACE OF RESIDENCE for my grandmother but she is not at that address either

My question is how can I search for this workhouse on the census ?

Peter_uk_can
09-04-2009, 8:26 PM
You can always try, no names, and enter "inmate" as a keyword.

This will often bring up lists of people in such institutions.

Angewozere
09-04-2009, 8:40 PM
Where do you enter inmate on the 1911 census ?

Browneyes
09-04-2009, 9:20 PM
Have you tried putting in 'Lanchester' in the place of residence?

In case you haven't seen it there's a page on that workhouse on workhouses.org.uk

Peter Goodey
10-04-2009, 6:08 AM
What town or even county are we talking about?

Browneyes
10-04-2009, 8:16 AM
The only workhouse I've found so far that was in a Newbiggin Road was Lanchester. Perhaps someone can find a different one if it's not in Durham? Mind you if there's a spelling mistake... ;)

Angewozere
10-04-2009, 7:35 PM
It is Lanchester and Newbiggen Road there is only 1 residence coming up on that road I have also tried the roads as per the workhouse site that Browneyes mentioned !I have been onto maps current day and tried those roads also ?

Angewozere
10-04-2009, 7:53 PM
Hi Finbar
Yes I have seen that but as yet all the info I have found has not helped with an address I have just searched for workhouse and instituation aand its not coming up I have even tried Lee Hill hospital which it was called in the 60s and also lodging house as there were lodging houses there as well I am going to have to try the maps now I think to see what they bring up?

Browneyes
10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
It looks like you'll need to apply to the National Archives for records:

Information held by the National Archives:
Lanchester Union Workhouse
GB/NNAF/C11105 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/O92000)
1842-1946: creed registers, registers of births and deaths
Repository: Durham County Record Office
Record Reference: H/NWD/18-36
NRA catalogue reference: NRA 26400 NW Durham

Other information I found includes:
Lanchester Union Workhouse was built in 1863. The workhouse was extended between 1880 and 1910 to include a hospital, offices, and cottage homes. It was later known as the Lanchester Public Assistance Institution and after 1939, as Lee Hill Hospital. Some of the original workhouse buildings survive into the early 21st Century. From: pastscape.english-heritage.org.uk

Also see: old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

Good luck

Browneyes
10-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Just a thought...would the handwritten register of birth hold details of where the child would reside...IF he was only born there and then was taken home?

Kerrywood
10-04-2009, 11:13 PM
It looks like you'll need to apply to the National Archives for records:

Information held by the National Archives:
Lanchester Union Workhouse
GB/NNAF/C11105 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/O92000)
1842-1946: creed registers, registers of births and deaths
Repository: Durham County Record Office
Record Reference: H/NWD/18-36
NRA catalogue reference: NRA 26400 NW Durham

But they're not at the National Archives! They're at Durham CRO (http://nd.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/usp.nsf/pws/durham+record+office+-+durham+record+office+homepage) :)

Kerrywood

Browneyes
11-04-2009, 9:36 AM
Angewozere,

As Kerry so kindly pointed out my post should have said

"It looks like you'll need to apply to the Durham County Record Office for records". I was thinking about the NA and simply typed the wrong thing. My apologies.

However, we seem to have deviated off track as your original question was

My question is how can I search for this workhouse on the census ?

Perhaps someone who has found a baby recorded as residing at a workhouse can answer your query.

Angewozere
11-04-2009, 6:36 PM
I would have thought that the workhouse as an institution would have been on the census as boats/ships etc are ?

The aforesaid uncles birth certificate has 1 address as 1 Newbiggen Road {the workhouse } as place of birth with the mother {nanna} residing at another address when she registered him !
I have got the info from the 2nd address which she is not listed as living there so as the birth was only a month before the census took place I assumed she would be still at the workhouse .
Ah have to keep looking or wait till I go to Durham week after next
Thanks for all your help