PDA

View Full Version : Bloxham Mill, Nr Banbury

Popsrekrap
09-04-2009, 1:19 PM
Does anyone have any history about the Mill at Bloxham. I believe my GX4 grandfather died there in 1856. He seems to have been a Miller as recorded in the 1821 church record in Boddicote baptism of son and daughter also the 1841 Census shows him still there.
His death certificate records his death as asthma, I seem to think he died at the Mill.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
RP

Roy Henderson
09-04-2009, 3:09 PM
Hi,

There were at least three mills in the Bloxham area. One was Bloxham Grove postmill (a windmill). I believe the others were both watermills; they were Upper Grove Mill and Bodicote Mill. It might help if you could find out which mill it was.

I have recently set up a forum site for mill queries. You are welcome to post your query there if you wish, as people with a specific mill interest might spot it. You will find the link to the forum in my profile.

Roy Henderson |wave|

Peter Goodey
09-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Miller sounds a rotten career choice for an asthmatic :(

salcat
09-04-2009, 8:21 PM
Peter Goodey wrote

Miller sounds a rotten career choice for an asthmatic

or did he develop asthma because he worked in the mill???

Sally

sandiep
10-04-2009, 7:27 PM
Hi Finbar

thanks for that link...........I have lived in Bloxham for 22 years and have been very lax about learning the History of Village................I do know the Bloxham Grove Postmill has just been restored.

There is an area at other end called Bloxham Mill which is now a business centre.........I will have a look in our school library when I return to school on Tuesday as I know we have some local history books.............if you give me his name I will have a look in local churchyard

sandie

Popsrekrap
17-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello all, and thanks for you support.

Sally: I'm with you on the developed asthma because he worked in a mill, today its probably and H&S issue, but not back in the early 1800's.

Some-one recently said it was called 'Miller's Luck' any thoughts any-one.

Sandie: his name was John Parker. 1795 ish to 1855, I think buried in Bodicote.
married to Ann(e) Curtis 1794 - 1871
His death certificate says he died at the mill (Bloxham Grove is where he lived at that time) so which mill he worked at is unclear).

Were all the mills owned by the same landlord?

Finbar: thanks, will explore the link

Roy:will be visiting the Mill forum.

Thanks again
RP
Robert

sandiep
17-04-2009, 9:35 PM
Hi Robert

Most of land and mills were owned by Warriner family..........Bodicote is very close in fact I think the mills down Bloxham Grove are probabally closer yo Bodicote..........the church there is a lovely little one I will try to get to it soon and see if I can find anything...........sandie

Roy Henderson
17-04-2009, 9:52 PM
Hi,

Someone else seems to have been researching the same connections. I think you may find some of the answers on this URL:

boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.england.oxf.general/1814.1/mb.ashx

Is this the miller you are looking for?

Roy Henderson |wave|

sandiep
17-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I think that the Ancestry link is Popsrekrep alias Robert Parker!

Robert dont know if you have Johns marriage at Adderbury on 19/8/1820
John Parker of Barton St Mary by banns to Ann Curtis also Barton st Mary
witnesses Samuel Mason & Richard Hawkins.

sandie

Popsrekrap
21-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Sandie
Guilty as charged, I am Popsrekrap aka Robert Parker.
Still looking for the birth record of one John Parker circa 1795 along with general intrests of the life and times in Bloxham - Bodicote as a Miller.
I did have knowledge of the Marriage record but the Barton St Mary's is new to me.
Would you think this Steeple Barton? there is a Barton St Mary's in Gloucestershire.
I wonder if he was born there and if there is a record.
I bought some church records on CD from OFHS but he did not show up in the Steeple Barton records.
Would you think he was a employee of the Warriner family, would they have records of workers and could they have survived throough to today.
Too many mysteries.
If you do find any clues in the church let me know.
Another remaining unknown about his children is that I have never discovered the birth record or christaning of one of his sons Jonathan he didnt seem to be christened at Bodicote.

Again Thanks for your help.

sandiep
21-04-2009, 7:57 PM
sorry robert was typing late and meant to put Barford st John not much differance its a village close to here in Bloxham and its side by side with Barford St Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try and get over to church see if they have any records

just came accross this:-http://listsearchs.rootsweb.com/th/read/GLOUCESTER/2009-03/1236770799
this has a lady looking for info of another of John & Anns children......and a reply quoting same infoI gave

sandie

I couldnt copy & paste Url this site wouldnt let me so hope I have copied it right!!

Popsrekrap
22-04-2009, 3:48 PM
Sandie
I could not get the link, and failed in searching for the entry on Roots & Ancestry, but am very interested in discovering any-one searhing the children of John Parker.
Does Barford have its own church? I dont think I've seen their transcription of BDM's anywhere.
Sorry if you feel you've been lumbered, please do not feel committed to anything.
Thanks for all the info.
Robert

sandiep
22-04-2009, 7:34 PM
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gloucester/2009-03/1236743510
try this link see if it works......if not pm me and I will copy to you
Oxfordshire family history society have transcripts of most areas but I think thy are only on Fiche, although I did hear they have some cd.s now.
I think my brain has been fried lately cos Barford st John is next to Barford st Michael not st mary.............I am sane really sure you want my help:D

sandie

Popsrekrap
23-04-2009, 8:06 AM
Sandie
Perfect this time.
Looks like a good connection, but with the same anominaly as my search, I have not yet discovered Jonathan nor Elizabeth's birth record, very strange.
I am very grateful for your help, look what you have achieved so far.
Robert