PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with navy records

roz1
08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I have with the help of a forum found what i think are my grandfathers navy service records. I do have a photo of my grandfather in a sailors uniform with the Royal Oak on his hat. These service records have his name on them and the correct birth date and place of birth. The thing is I just cant make head or tail of them. And they have some medical information on. Not fair if there not my grandfathers or on family members who don't know of medical condition to post them. Anybody out there like to look at them for me.
Roz

ChristineR
09-04-2009, 4:57 AM
Has anyone looked at this for you?

I would imagine that it is the right person, if the details of name, birth and birthplace are correct. However, it would be a breach of copyright to post the whole document.

You can post images of small sections that you find hard to dicipher.

My grandfathers records have down the left hand side a list of ships (and shore bases which have ships names) on which he served, along with the start and end dates. Then in the top middle is a set of dates relating to his ratings - from enlistment through training as a Boy, and becoming a gunner.
On the right hand side are his behavioural records with dates, mine has an annual good behaviour noted until he spent time in the brig and later deserted.
It was very confusing at first.

roz1
10-04-2009, 1:50 PM
Thank-you for the advice on how to read these service records. Thanks for the warning about copyright, I don't want to get any of these forum in trouble they are so helpful.
thanks again