PDA

View Full Version : A cautionary tale

kermie62
06-04-2009, 1:06 PM
Just a bit of family folklore I discovered today that is worth pasing on as a warning to others

My grandmother was married before the war in England. She lived at home with her parents and all the records will show this. However when she wanted to get married, she wanted a particular church so she moved temporarily to a friends house so she would be in that parish and could get married in that church. So her marriage certificate shows her living and coming from a completely different area to where she actually lived and could be taken as being two seperate people.

Although that sounds far fetched, I have a relative born in St Pancras, married and then moved to Marlyebone. There is another man, born the same year in Marlyebone and the same name, married a woman with an identical name to the first's wife and moved to St Pancras. Luckily they had different names for the kids but it was a job seperating them in the census data. If prior to 1841 would have been impossible

MarkJ
06-04-2009, 1:12 PM
Lucky they didn't have the same names for the children too Kermie!
I suppose there is always going to be an element of doubt - no matter how hard we try to cross check all our sources. As you say, if that had been pre-1841, you might have been stuck with the wrong family.

Mark