PDA

View Full Version : Hodgson Baptisim Weardale parish mixup

Richard Miller
04-04-2009, 6:31 PM
Hi

I am seeking some advice to locate the correct birth/baptism dates for Hannah Hodgson who married Matthew Collin at the church of St. Thomas the Apostle, Stanhope, Weardale, Co. Durham on 18 May 1822. So far I have located 2 possible births as follows:-

Baptisms, Weardale District
Church: St. John the Baptist
Religion: Anglican
15 Jan 1804 Hannah Hodgson, of Benthead, born 30-Mar 1801, 1st daughter of Thomas Hodgson (miner, native of this parish) by his wife Mary nee Peart (native of this parish)

Baptisms, Weardale District
Church: St. Mary & St. Stephen
Religion: Anglican
2 May 1802 Hannah Hodgson, born 11-Feb 1802, daughter of Thomas Hodgson (farmer, native of Crook) by his wife Margaret nee Collin (native of this parish, daughter of Tristram, surgeon).

I have found Matthew and Hannah Collin in the 1841 Census living in New Cassop, Co. Durham in which she gives her age as 40 which corresponds with a birth in 1801, and her husband Matthew gives his age as 60.

I am unsure how to determine which might be the correct baptism entry.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Peter Goodey
04-04-2009, 6:54 PM
I suggest the 'kill 'em off technique'. Trace both of them forwards and hope to eliminate one of them through death or a different marriage.

arthurk
04-04-2009, 7:40 PM
Peter gives some good advice, but on the face of it, I think the St John's Chapel family may be more likely. I see that in 1841 Matthew was a miner, the same occupation as that of Hannah's father, and I think it's rather less likely that the daughter of a gentleman farmer (the BT on the LDS Pilot site shows the Wolsingham Thomas as a gentleman) and granddaughter of a surgeon would marry a miner - though not impossible.

Another clue might be in the children's names. According to the 1841 census one of Matthew and Hannah's children was called Em(m)erson, so it's fairly likely that you'll find that as a surname somewhere in the right family - though again it's not the only possibility: sometimes a friend or neighbour's name was borrowed. (It may be coincidence, but the same day as Matthew and Hannah married there was a marriage of Joseph Emerson and Phebe Lowe.)

Lastly, I found Em(m)erson in 1851 as a head of household with some of his brothers and sisters living there too. This may suggest that the parents had both died - so Hannah's death record might be of some help.

Arthur

(Sorry- can't read my own scrawl and I can't now remember if Em(m)erson had one "m" or two.)

Wirral
04-04-2009, 9:05 PM
If Hannah was under 21 at the time of her marriage, then the church register should have said that she was a minor. The Hannah at Weardale was 21, the Hannah at Wolsingham was 20. However, the ages are so close that I wouldn't give too much weight to my arguement!
Have you looked for wills for the family?

Andrew Mead
05-04-2009, 6:20 AM
Have you tried the Durham (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)forum? Someone there may have more local knowledge.

samgibbons56
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Peter gives some good advice, but on the face of it, I think the St John's Chapel family may be more likely. I see that in 1841 Matthew was a miner, the same occupation as that of Hannah's father, and I think it's rather less likely that the daughter of a gentleman farmer (the BT on the LDS Pilot site shows the Wolsingham Thomas as a gentleman) and granddaughter of a surgeon would marry a miner - though not impossible.

Another clue might be in the children's names. According to the 1841 census one of Matthew and Hannah's children was called Em(m)erson, so it's fairly likely that you'll find that as a surname somewhere in the right family - though again it's not the only possibility: sometimes a friend or neighbour's name was borrowed. (It may be coincidence, but the same day as Matthew and Hannah married there was a marriage of Joseph Emerson and Phebe Lowe.)

Lastly, I found Em(m)erson in 1851 as a head of household with some of his brothers and sisters living there too. This may suggest that the parents had both died - so Hannah's death record might be of some help.

Arthur

(Sorry- can't read my own scrawl and I can't now remember if Em(m)erson had one "m" or two.)
Hi,
There is a bapt for Emerson Collin in Weardale in 1828 here
http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/searchresults.php
Any good?
Regards
Sam