PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Family Names

RLucyg
24-02-2005, 4:39 PM
I thought I would just list my family names in Yorkshire for anyone who may share those names;
Greenall - Tadcaster
Routh - Tadcaster
Hawthorn(e) - Castleford (via Burslem, Staffs)
Bates - Castleford (via Eston, Cleveland & London)
Houlder - Pontefract
Johnson - Castleford (vis Burslem, Staffs)
Roger/Rogers/Rodgers - Castleford (vis Stanningley, Leeds)
Thorpe/Thorp - Eston and Skelton, N Yorks.

BeeE586
25-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Millthorpe - anywhere pre 1810
Tillotson - Keighley area pre 1750
Swan - Tankersley and Rotherham pre 1815
Rhodes - Bradfield and Penistone pre 1800
Grey - Sheffield pre 1800

Eileen :)

Dogtanian
03-03-2005, 5:05 PM
BeeE568, I have a connection with some Rhodes in Thurlstone near Penistone, though they aren't on a direct line.
I have a Thomas Rhodes born about 1820 marrying a Mary Fretwell, the sister of my g-g-grandfather Joseph Fretwell and daughter of Thomas Fretwell and Sarah Robinson.
I think they lived at or near Mill House (which we assume the place now called Millhouse was name after).
I'm sure I've come across a Bradfield connection with them too...though I can't remeber it right now....

Do you have any connections?

BeeE586
07-03-2005, 10:11 AM
To Dogtanian, good morning, and thank you for contacting me. re Rhodes - my connection is a marriage in 1816 in Ecclesfield of John Atkinson Tillotson to Ann Rhodes with consent. A witness was Isaac Rhodes. They baptized two children in Bradfield before moving to DBY Beighton c1819. Ann died in 1852 aged 57, leading me to suppose that she was dau. of Joseph bap. Bradfield in 1795. I have not given a lot of attention to the Rhodes line and this is all I know of them.

:) -- Eileen

Dogtanian
08-03-2005, 7:25 PM
Hello again BeeE86.
None of the names you mention for your Rhodes ring any bells I'm afraid. I really don't know much about the Rhodes connection with my family as it is only a side shoot, though with Mill House being only a couple of miles away from Penistone and a couple more from Brafield, there may a connection somehow.

alanjw
22-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Eileen,

Millthorpe - anywhere pre 1810
Tillotson - Keighley area pre 1750
Swan - Tankersley and Rotherham pre 1815
Rhodes - Bradfield and Penistone pre 1800
Grey - Sheffield pre 1800

I am trying to trace my ancestors, Tillotson.

I have a James Tillotson B.21.12.1820 at Hunslet, Leeds who married Isabella Longbottom.

His father was a William Tillotson B about 1790.

Is this the same family tree as the one you have?

BeeE586
22-09-2008, 1:13 PM
Hi Alan,

Sadly, I don't think so. I believe my John Atkinson Tillotson to be son of Robert and Betty nee Atkinson, born c1794 either Keighly or Sheffield - records differ. Robert was a papermaker at Dam Flask Bradfield but I know nothing of his ancestry. All but two of J A T's children were born in Beighton, and so far as I am aware there is no family connection with Leeds.

Eileen

lynnebate
04-01-2009, 7:26 PM
hI
I am researching my family history on the WILLIS name. I believe that Cleckheaton, Yorkshire.Can anyone enlighten me at all, or have any information re: WILLIS
Thanks
LB