PDA

View Full Version : White-St Dunstans, Stepney

Ann AW
24-02-2005, 4:39 PM
Hi Listers,|help|

I wonder if someone may be able to help me and look up St Dunstans baptism records, John and Mary White had a mass baptism of at least 4 of their children on July 25 1824 at St Dunstans, I am interested to find out if there were any more children baptised at this time.
The children I have found are Mary Ann Aylin White b 08 Jan 1815, William Aylin White b 01 Nov 1817, George Aylin White b 06 Mar 1819 and Jonathan Aylin White b 03 Apr 1822. For some reason which I am yet to discover, they all had the second name of Aylin, which was given to boys and girls over at least the next 4 generations, I don't yet know whether their father John also had Aylin as a second name.

Many thanks in anticipation,
Ann

03-03-2005, 4:30 AM
I can't help much but had a similar situation when all my family of children had the middle name of South and it turned out to be the maiden name of the mother. I think this was quite a common practice in the early 1800s.

Georgina

Peter Goodey
03-03-2005, 9:49 AM
Ann

You got those from the IGI, didn't you? The batch was a "controlled extraction" and it's a reasonable working assumption that it is accurate - subject to checking the original records, of course.

If you're prepared to accept the veracity of those four baptisms, it seems reasonable to also accept that there weren't any others on that day.

If I were you I'd simply add them to your 'to do' list for checking next time you're at the archives.

As Georgina says, the middle name is a clue - not a puzzle. It's quite likely to be the mother's maiden name although - and this may apply particularly if the family come from another part of Britain - different practice may have survived.