PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Gaffney - Coldstream Guards

GeorgeF
03-04-2009, 8:25 AM
Dear All,
I am trying to track the Service details of Thomas Gaffney who served in the Boer War with the Coldstream Guards. I am particularly interested in establishing an accurate Regt No in order to trace his service documents ( I believe they may be held at Kew [however I would also appreciate advice on this]).
What I have so far is -
"Thomas Gaffney - Born Willington 1874?Enlisted in Coldstream Guards 21 Apr 1896 aged 21 years and 5 months. Completed 6 years and 330 days towards completion of Limited Engagement. During this time he served 2 years and 271 days abroad. He was awarded the South African War Medal 1899 - 1902 with the following clasps, Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johanesburg and Belfast. He then transfered to the Army Reserve on 16 March 1903 aged 28 years and 5 months"
This information is "third hand" from a distant family source - can anyone help?
Yours
George F

Peter Goodey
03-04-2009, 9:31 AM
The records aren't at Kew. See Section 7 of http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

I suspect that what you would get from the Guards HQ is something that provides the information that you already have. However if they can provide a photocopy presumably you would like to have your own copy.

neil1821
03-04-2009, 5:57 PM
470 Pte T.Gaffney.
His medal actually has 6 clasps, the 5 you mentioned + Diamond Hill