PDA

View Full Version : Birth Heip

thirza
02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Looking for the birth of Logan James Charles Jones in 1906 parents James Charles Jones and Alma Louisa Jones nee ( Tayler )

According to the UK 1911 census it says for Birthplace USA British Subject by Parentage, both parents born in the UK.

On the 1901 census parents of Logan were not married, and Alma was in Gloucestershire England.

After much searching have not been able to find a marriage for Charles and Alma so maybe they were married in USA as well.

They sailed from Boston Massachusetts United States on the Saxonia for Liverpool in 1906 and Logan is recorded as been 4 months old

Any help with the birth of Logan would be very welcome, with many Thanks

Thirza

AdeleE
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
On board the Teutonic, October 22, 1903

Miss Alma Louise Tayler
age 35 years, 5 months
last residence: Falfield, Gloucesters.
going to Vandalia, Ill.
arrival contact: Aunt Mrs. W.J. Bourner, Hempstead? Farm Mills Vandalia, Fayette Co., Ill.

I'll look for a resource for marriages in Illinois, USA.

Adele

Lincoln Lad
02-04-2009, 3:06 PM
I have checked the GRO consular birth indices on FMP and no sign of his birth there. Was his father in the services by any chance?

EDIT just seen the incoming passenger image and he was a Barber.

thirza
03-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Thank you very much much for the information, Yes that is my Alma.
Mystry deepens further now wonder who the Aunt was.
Alma and Charles must have been married out in USA.

If you do find out anymore I shall be forever in your debt.

Thank you so much once again.

Thirza

thirza
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
To Lincoln lad,

Thank you for your intereast, as far as I know he was not in the services, but he was a barber in the Uk.

Many Thanks for your help.

AdeleE
04-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Here's a couple of possibilities for the aunt:
Vandalia township is immediately northeast of Seminary township in Fayette county.

1900 US census
Seminary Township, Fayette, Illinois
William Bourner, head, 80, b. Feb 1820, England, immig 1857, farmer
Sarah J Bourner, wife, 84 b. Nov 1816, England, immig (blank)
The couple has been married 44 years, 0 children born.

1900 US census
Seminary Township, Fayette, Illinois
Wellington Bourner, head, 58, b May 1842, Illinois, father b. England, mother b Virginia, farmer
Sarah E Bourner, wife, 56, b May 1844, Illinois, father b. England, mother b Virginia
The couple has been married 36 years, 5 children born, 2 still alive
Julia E Brown, dau, 35 widowed, no children, born Illinois

I'd vote for the 84 year old Sarah being the aunt. I picture 35 year old Alma, probably unmarriageable in her English town, being sent to the USA to be housekeeper for this aged woman (or couple).

Adele

BeeJay
04-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi thirza,

There’s quite a bit of information about Illinois BMDs on the State Archives website:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html

The records for the different counties are held by various depositories and you can request lookups from them, at no charge. There may be a very small fee for photocopies - my records arrived with an invoice of U.S. $1.00 for about ten pages!

Logan may have been born in Fayette County and the U. of Illinois holds both Birth Records and a Birth Record Index for Fayette County for 1860 to 1925. Their address is:

Illinois Regional Archives Depository
LIB 144
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS BRK 140
Springfield, Illinois
U.S.A. 62703-5407

Because the work is done by volunteers they ask that you make only ONE request at a time and include:
-the full name of the person you are researching
-the approximate year of the record
-the county

They don’t accept requests by email, only in writing. The U. of Illinois also holds the Marriage Records and Marriage Record Index for Fayette County so if they find Logan’s birth you could make a second request for a lookup of Alma’s marriage.

Good luck!

:)

thirza
04-04-2009, 9:01 PM
Thank you again for that information. I will have a look and see if I can find the family's here.

Thirza

thirza
04-04-2009, 9:02 PM
Thank you for the address I will write to them and try and locate Logan's birth certificate.

Thiriza